Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying Formulas from Workbook to Workbook

How does one copy a formula from one workbook (WB) to another without the new
formula not referencing back to the orginal workbook? E.g. when I copy a
formula from WB1 that adds two cells in WB1 together and paste it into WB2
the formula now in WB2 still adds the 2 cells in WB1 and posts the result in
WB2. I want the just formula to be copied so that the two cells added are
from WB2. Paste Special doesn't help.
--
R H Ingram
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Rupert,

In WB1 select cell and Copy.
In WB2 select cell right click and paste.

There should be no link to WB1 retained.

Mike

"Rupert" wrote:

How does one copy a formula from one workbook (WB) to another without the new
formula not referencing back to the orginal workbook? E.g. when I copy a
formula from WB1 that adds two cells in WB1 together and paste it into WB2
the formula now in WB2 still adds the 2 cells in WB1 and posts the result in
WB2. I want the just formula to be copied so that the two cells added are
from WB2. Paste Special doesn't help.
--
R H Ingram

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What does your formula in WB1 look like in WB1? What does it then look like
when you've copied it to WB2? In general, I wouldn't expect problems such
as you have described.
--
David Biddulph

"Rupert" wrote in message
How does one copy a formula from one workbook (WB) to another without the
new
formula not referencing back to the orginal workbook? E.g. when I copy a
formula from WB1 that adds two cells in WB1 together and paste it into WB2
the formula now in WB2 still adds the 2 cells in WB1 and posts the result
in
WB2. I want the just formula to be copied so that the two cells added are
from WB2. Paste Special doesn't help.
--
R H Ingram

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there's only a single formula (or a limited number), I copy each from the
formula bar and paste into the formula bar.

If there are a lot, I'll select the range to copy
edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: $$$$$=
replace all

Now those formulas are just text.

Edit|copy
followed by Edit|paste

And then do a couple of edit|replaces to change those text strings back to
formulas

Select the range
edit|Replace
what: $$$$$=
with: =
replace all

In both the original worksheet and the newly pasted worksheet.

Rupert wrote:

How does one copy a formula from one workbook (WB) to another without the new
formula not referencing back to the orginal workbook? E.g. when I copy a
formula from WB1 that adds two cells in WB1 together and paste it into WB2
the formula now in WB2 still adds the 2 cells in WB1 and posts the result in
WB2. I want the just formula to be copied so that the two cells added are
from WB2. Paste Special doesn't help.
--
R H Ingram

--