Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pasting an equation down a column

I am analyzing a 45,000 row and 4 column data. I am looking to take the mean
of the 4 columns for all 45,000 without having to type the equations
individually. I understand that to get the average for columns C through F I
must enter the following formula: =(C3+D3+E3+F3)/4

I would very much appreciate it if someone could inform me how to get the
general
=(C+D+E+F)/4 formula easily for the entire column. Thank you.

Caitlin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CaitlinRVH

Select the cell with the formula & place your curser over the lower right
corner of that cell. You are looking for the curser to change from a large
white plus sign to a smaller black plus sign (+). When you have that just
double click on it and it will fill the formulas to the end of your data or
the first blank cell, which ever comes first.

Or when you find that smaller plus sign you can drag it all the way down to
the end of your data.

Mike Rogers
--
The only dumb question is the one you did not ask.

"CaitlinRVH" wrote:

I am analyzing a 45,000 row and 4 column data. I am looking to take the mean
of the 4 columns for all 45,000 without having to type the equations
individually. I understand that to get the average for columns C through F I
must enter the following formula: =(C3+D3+E3+F3)/4

I would very much appreciate it if someone could inform me how to get the
general
=(C+D+E+F)/4 formula easily for the entire column. Thank you.

Caitlin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You could use
=AVERAGE(C1:F1) for the row
=AVEARGE(C1:F45000) for the complete range

If you want the average of each row separately, then with the first
formula in G1, hover the cursor over the bottom right corner of cell G1
till you see a small solid black cross (the fill handle) and double
click.
It should fill the formula down through G2:G45000

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"CaitlinRVH" wrote in message
I am analyzing a 45,000 row and 4 column data. I am looking to take
the mean
of the 4 columns for all 45,000 without having to type the equations
individually. I understand that to get the average for columns C
through F I
must enter the following formula: =(C3+D3+E3+F3)/4

I would very much appreciate it if someone could inform me how to get
the
general
=(C+D+E+F)/4 formula easily for the entire column. Thank you.

Caitlin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra Dalgleish shows how to do what Mike explained (but with pictures):
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html

And she explains another way using the keyboard, too.

CaitlinRVH wrote:

I am analyzing a 45,000 row and 4 column data. I am looking to take the mean
of the 4 columns for all 45,000 without having to type the equations
individually. I understand that to get the average for columns C through F I
must enter the following formula: =(C3+D3+E3+F3)/4

I would very much appreciate it if someone could inform me how to get the
general
=(C+D+E+F)/4 formula easily for the entire column. Thank you.

Caitlin

--

Dave Peterson