Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dcnguyen

Default How to make one column be the result of an equation between two

I have a blank column which I want to fill with the results of a
concatenation between two other columns...could someone give me the
general steps on how to do this (doesn't have to be concatenation
operation, could also be a sum between values of columns, for example).

--
dcnguyen
dcnguyen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30251

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

Assuming the columns with values are A and B and the blank column to
receive the results is C.

For concatenation, in C1
=A1&B1 or with a space between =A1&" "&B1

For addition
=A1+B1

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"dcnguyen" wrote
in message ...

I have a blank column which I want to fill with the results of a
concatenation between two other columns...could someone give me the
general steps on how to do this (doesn't have to be concatenation
operation, could also be a sum between values of columns, for
example).

--
dcnguyen
dcnguyen's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dcnguyen

Thanks for the response...two things...

I'm typing that in the cell (=A1&B1) and all I'm getting is a exactly
that..."=A1&B1"

And what I have is a datasheet with several thousand rows...how do I
make the operation apply to the entire columns?

Roger Govier Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

Don't put brackets around the equation. Just
=A1&B1

Copy the formula and paste it down through the remaining cells in column
C.
The formula will later automatically as it is copied to each successive
cell e,g,
=A2&C2
=A3&C3

The easiest way to fill the cells going down is to use the fill handle.
Hover your cursor over the bottom left corner of cell C1 when you have
the formula correctly entered, and it will change to a small black
cross. Either double click the cursor at this point and it should fill
down, or, hold the left mouse button down as you drag down the column.
When you release the mouse button, the formula will be copied to the
range of cells marked.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"dcnguyen" wrote
in message ...

Roger Govier Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dcnguyen

OK, that's what I meant...I didn't put brackets in the cell...all I did
was enter into C1:

=A1&B1

And that's all that shows in the cell...do I just have a setting off or
something?

--
dcnguyen
dcnguyen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30251
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499221

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

Your cell must have been formatted as Text.

FormatCellsNumberGeneral
Enter formula
Press Enter

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"dcnguyen" wrote
in message ...

OK, that's what I meant...I didn't put brackets in the cell...all I
did
was enter into C1:

=A1&B1

And that's all that shows in the cell...do I just have a setting off
or
something?

--
dcnguyen
dcnguyen's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dcnguyen

Ah...

I've done this kind of thing before, I knew it was some stupid little
thing like that.

--
dcnguyen
dcnguyen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30251
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499221

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

Its always the little things that catch us out. glad you got it sorted.
Thanks for letting us know.

--
Regards

Roger Govier