Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default opening same file on 2 computers simultaneously with excel 2007

Hi there,

We have recently upgraded from excel 2003 to 2007. In 2003 we could open a
file on one computer and work on it and we could open a read only version on
a second computer. Now we have excel 2007 this does not work. If a file is
open in 2007 and we try to open a second copy a message appears saying

"file name" cannot be found, check spelling or try different path

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions gratefully recieved. We
have tried unchecking the ignore other programmes button and tried
reregistering using /regserver

Thanks
Zoe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I cannot duplicate your problem. My test setup:
2 systems, both with Office 2007 on them.
1 system with Windows XP Pro
1 system with Vista Ultimate (file stored in the Public folder on this
machine)

Open the file in Excel 2007 on the Windows XP machine. No problem.
Open the file in Excel 2007 on the Vista machine and I get the "file in use
.... open in read only?" prompt.

What operating system(s) are in use on the machines in question? I'm
thinking it might have something to do with it - I have a nightmare even
getting into shared folders on non Vista systems on my workgroup-type LAN
setup here. So much so that I've given up on even trying for a while -
everything I need to be shared with all machines ends up in the Vista
system's Public folder ... generally an unacceptable situation.