Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default opening excel file in 2007

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
....Alistair
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi--I installed the beta refresh without any problems, however, I have seen a
number of other posters on here having problems.

Your best bet would be to contact the development team directly, via their
blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default opening excel and word file in 2007

I am having the same problem and everything was working fine. I too updated
to Beta2--obviously a mistake.

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Greetings,
I also updated to B2TR today, and have had mixed results opening files. I
can open Word and Publisher files just fine, but not Excel ...or so I
thought. When I click on an Excel file, the main program opens to a blank
page. Although there's no indication that anything is going on, an entire
minute later the document suddenly opens. I triied opening Excel first, then
opening a file, and to my surprise it loads in seconds as it should. It's
just really sluggish when opening the program from an Excel file. Disabling
antivirus doesn't seem to make any difference.

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the exact same problem with Beta2 technical. I can't open Excel files
I created with the previous version of the beta. Excel tells me my Virus
Program is the problem. I'm using Norton Internet Security 2006 (latest
updates version 9.1.0.33) Obviously something is wrong with Excel. Can we
turn off this feature? if I want to open a file with a suspected virus, I
should be able to. I appreciate Microsoft trying to "help" me but sometimes I
don't want the help. We should be allowed to disable these so called"helpful"
features. I also sometimes DO NOT WANT the auto format assumptions made by
Office when I cut and paste text from somewhere else. I hate having to paste
in to notepad so I get back my "paste special" function to drop the text in
as unformated. Sometimes all the "extra value" that gets added is a
hinderance not a help.

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem... I have submitted a message to the Dev team's
Blog... I will post the response (If I recieve one)... Other than a few minor
issues like this, I am fairly happy with the new versions of the Office suite.

Happy bug hunting!

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

So, as anyone found a solution to this problem, cause obviously I am
suffering the same dilema?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, WandS has it right as well. Looks like you have to disable the MS
Office start up virus scan feature in Norton Anti Virus (uncheck the box
under Options - Norton Anti Virus - Miscellaneous - Turn on Office Plug-in
on) restart the computer and then the documents open. Fun huh?

"Nicodemus" wrote:

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

So, as anyone found a solution to this problem, cause obviously I am
suffering the same dilema?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello All.
I also have a similar/same problem. I have been using Beta 2007 and very
happy with it. However my computer crashed a few days ago and I had to
reinstall everything and now that I have reinstalled Beta 2007 to the latest
version I cannot open my 2007 excel files that were created with the previous
2007 version I was using. I receive an error msg and when I look into the
error report it states €śMicrosoft has reviewed this error report and
determined that this problem will be fixed in an upcoming 2007 Microsoft
Office System Beta release.€ť Which is great but I need this excel document
for work and worry I may have lost everything and have some late nights
redoing everything. I am not using Norton (as I have read it may cause
problems) I also have disconnected my antivirus and still have same error. I
could really use some help. Thanks

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Now that you enlightened archarch with the 'Grand' purpose, why not enlighten
him with an answer!

*********************

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello CB,

You are not using Norton AntiVirus, but the problem may be similar. Does
your antivirus program have a feature that plugs into Microsoft Office? It
may be worth exploring your antivirus options given that WandS and Chris
Powell's answers are clearing up this problem for a lot of us.

**************

"Alistair" wrote:

Hello all,
Up until a couple of hours ago- everything worked great- using the beta 2007
ms office. I just updated the beta version with the Beta2 teachnical
refresh- & I can't open any excel files or word files- not one! the error
says that there is a conflict with my anti -virus program & that the file is
corrupted, so I disabled the anti-virus program& tried to open them again-
same problem- every single file effected. Has anyone else encountered this
problem? Any solutions?
...Alistair

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also sometimes DO NOT WANT the auto format assumptions made by
Office when I cut and paste text from somewhere else. I hate having to paste
in to notepad so I get back my "paste special" function to drop the text in
as unformated. Sometimes all the "extra value" that gets added is a
hinderance not a help.

Hello, Chris. I think there may be an easier solution than pasting and
copying from Windows Notepad. Perhaps when you have pasted something into a
Microsoft application and have noticed a little icon that appears next to the
pasted block? If you click on this icon you will be presented with a
drop-down menu and I believe that these options will address your concern.
The options allow you to apply either the source or destination formatting to
the pasted block. Hope this helps.

By the way, thanks for the detail on disabling Norton AntiVirus in Excel so
that we can load our documents. There are a ton of postings relating to this
issue, unfortunately the word is not getting back to all of the posters. Too
bad the newsgroup server cannot automatically match and link relevant threads
to a newly posted question!