Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text error

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried to make the column wider?

What text are you entering?
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am entering comments on student performance.

The other cells that i have filled in are quite long and have the text
appear just fine without making the colums bigger.
--
A.

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

At the top of your sheet, double-click between the two columns with the
column that has the #### on the left. For example, if cell C5 is displaying
####, then double-click on the line between C and D at the top of your
sheet. This should automatically widen the column as necessary in order to
display the full contents.

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but
the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I do not want to expand the cell as my comments are quiet long.
They appear just fine in some cells but not in others.
All the text is there and can be read but if I format the cell from general
to text that's when it changes it to ####.
--
A.

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but
the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

If you are copying and pasting
and the value looks like a date it might be transferign to a date format
even if you are telling it to be text.

How are you enteering the data and will you show an example of the input
data which ends up being ####

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is just simple text i.e.
Jimmy has been a bad student, it is his fault the school burnt down.

Some of my cells are formated as text and show the text just fine, others
are formatted as general and show the text fine but when i change them to
text display ####.
--
A.

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

if you go to an empty cell and enter = (one of the cells with an ####)
what do you get?
what version of Excel are you using?
If you expand the column width what do you get (does the number of ####
change)?

Does this happen in just one excel file or all of them?

(As you can tell I am reaching. I have not been able to duplicate your
problem on my computer.)

do you have any macros enabled in your Excel

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is most likely your answer:

You're experiencing the "text bug"!

Format the cell(s) to "General".

There seems to be a quirk (bug), where in a Text formatted cell of more then
approximately 256 characters, you'll get the ###'s.

Stranger yet, if you keep typing, the true text *returns* when the character
count exceeds 1024.

General format should work for the "in-between" character count.

--
HTH,

RD

"Andmor" wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text
but
the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text
appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try formatting the cell as General.

Excel has trouble with long text (255-1024 characters (approximately)) in cells
formatted as text.

Andmor wrote:

I have been entering text into cells formatted for text.
That is until I have reached some cells that are formatted for text but the
text comes out ####. Any suggestions?
I even tried to apply the formatting from a cell where the text appears
correctly but have had no success.
--
A.

--