Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Split cell

Hi All

I have a list of names which includes the Surname and First Name (with a
space in the middle).

Is it possible to split the list into two (one column for the first name and
one for the Surname).

As you would expect the names are all different lengths so I guess to need a
command to split where ever there is a space.

Any help greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Rexmann (using excel 2002)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert enough extra columns to the right of the name to accommodate the break
out of your name field. It may be safer to copy them into a blank worksheet
and work on them there. Select the names and from the Menu Bar choose Data
and then Text to Columns.... The Convert Text to Columns Wizard will open.
The wizard is easy to follow. Choose Delimited in step one and Space in step
two. Using spaces as a delimiter usually means you have to do a little extra
clean up work to fix people with multiple first or last names.

"rexmann" wrote:

Hi All

I have a list of names which includes the Surname and First Name (with a
space in the middle).

Is it possible to split the list into two (one column for the first name and
one for the Surname).

As you would expect the names are all different lengths so I guess to need a
command to split where ever there is a space.

Any help greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Rexmann (using excel 2002)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rexmann,

Select all of your data then goto DataText to Columns. In the wizard select
delimited then next then choose space as the delimiter and Finish.

HTH
Martin