PeterM

Default Is there a way I can split last name first name in one cell

I just got a list of customers we need to write about a new store opening.
However, I noticed that the first cell contained the last name of the
customer, then it has a comma, and then it has the first name. How can I
change that to last name in one cell and first name in another.I would of
course buy the program that will do that if there is no way to change that
w/o a special program. O yes yes, how about stripping the duplicates out of
the list, is there a way to do that as well. I'm an old guy, that used
excel for a while, but I can't remember anything anymore,
honestly...........Any help is appreciated............Peter

Ron Coderre

Before trying anything complicated, this might work for you:

1)If there is data to the right of the names column, copy the column to a
new sheet
2)Select the list
3)DataText to columns
Delimited........[Next]
Check Comma, Space, and Treat consecutive delimters as one
Click the [Finish] button.

Does that help?

Ron

Ron

PeterM wrote:
I noticed that the first cell contained the last name of the
customer, then it has a comma, and then it has the first name. How can I
change that to last name in one cell and first name in another.

If A1 contains the "last,first" text, then:

TRIM(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1) - 1))

yields the last name, and

TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1) - FIND(",",A1)))

yields the first name.

The use of TRIM() is defensive in the first case.
It is probably needed in the second case, unless
you know there is no space after the comma.

PeterM

Hello Ron, it worked , I can't tell you how much I appreciate you for your
wonderful help............May something real good happen to you soon, you
made it happen for me.............Peter