Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ed Ed is offline

Default LOOKUP MULTIPLE VALUES

Hi,

If anyone can help with this, I'd be really grateful)

I have 3 columns with data:

The first, has a list of reference numbers (i.e. 00563124P) which occure
more than once, the second has a list of text values and the third has a list
of text values.

I want to use two reference values:

The first will equate to one of the ref numbers in the first column, the
second will equate to one of the text values in the second.

I'm trying to return the value from the equivalent row in the third column
where the reference values match the data (on the same row) for the first and
second columns.

A traditional lookup won't do it and I'm a bit stuck...

Cheers,

Ed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For Vlookup, it's a limitation that you can only rely on one reference.

In such case, I suggest you to create a combined field between col 2 and col
3 so you can lookup from the combined field.

e.g.

ColA ColB ColC
001 Ken 20
002 Son 50
001 Pet 90
002 Bol 65

combined into 2 cols to lookup:
ColC ColD
001Ken 20
002Son 50
001Pet 90
002Bol 65

hope this help.

"Ed" wrote:

Hi,

If anyone can help with this, I'd be really grateful)

I have 3 columns with data:

The first, has a list of reference numbers (i.e. 00563124P) which occure
more than once, the second has a list of text values and the third has a list
of text values.

I want to use two reference values:

The first will equate to one of the ref numbers in the first column, the
second will equate to one of the text values in the second.

I'm trying to return the value from the equivalent row in the third column
where the reference values match the data (on the same row) for the first and
second columns.

A traditional lookup won't do it and I'm a bit stuck...

Cheers,

Ed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)