Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Link diverts to c drive when emailed to colleagues

Weekly I send out files to be completed and returned. Budget data is linked
to a datatable on our servers k drive. Whenever I email the file - the link
switches from k: to c: or worse, the whole path changes to their local
settings.

How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

one way is to rewrite the equations using the indirect function, so that the
referece will stay the same no matter where the program is run from.

"knghtrvn" wrote:

Weekly I send out files to be completed and returned. Budget data is linked
to a datatable on our servers k drive. Whenever I email the file - the link
switches from k: to c: or worse, the whole path changes to their local
settings.

How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The link that changes is a vlookup funtion to another workbook. Opening both
my operating file and the datasource, when adding the the indirect funtion -
the cell only ref's out.

any other suggestions?

"knghtrvn" wrote:

Weekly I send out files to be completed and returned. Budget data is linked
to a datatable on our servers k drive. Whenever I email the file - the link
switches from k: to c: or worse, the whole path changes to their local
settings.

How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you use the mapped drive letter (K:) in your formulas?

If you do, you may want to try replacing them with the UNC path instead.

='k:\somepath\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1
becomes
='\\sharename\somepath\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1

(Untested)

--

Dave Peterson