Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't copy data from cells between workbooks within the same excel

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, your subject got truncated.

But my question is are you sure that you're in the same instance of excel?

Open one workbook (anyway you want)
then use File|Open to open the second one.
then test out your copy|paste

If that doesn't work, is there any chance that you have any event macro
running. Lots of these macros can clear the clipboard.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't copy data from cells between workbooks within the same e

Dave,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I am using the same version of excel. The 2 workbooks (tabs) are in
the same excel file. I am using excel 2000.

Regarding the macros, I am not sure how to tell if one is enabled. If I
goto Tools, Macros, I don't see anything that indicates a macro is running.

Thanks again, Terry.

snakeinbenson wrote:

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I meant the same instance--not the same version.

But close excel.

Windows start button|Run
type this and hit enter:
excel /safe

Then file|open your workbook to test it.

If it works, you could have a macro running in the background. It could be
under the worksheet or under ThisWorkbook (or worse!).

Debra Dalgleish has some screen prints that may help you find the code:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros

snakeinbenson wrote:

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A single file is also known as a Workbook.

A Workbook is comprised of Worksheets(tabs).

Are you confusing the terms?

Do you have just one workbook open with two worksheets?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:26:05 -0700, snakeinbenson
wrote:

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes,

I have one file (workbook) with 2 tabs (worksheets) and cannot copy/paste
from cells between tabs (worksheets).

PS -- Thanks for the clarification of terms.

Terry.

wrote:

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens when you to copy?

Error message? Nothing? Wrong data is copied? Format is not what you want?

Is the copy to sheet protected?

Detail the steps you take and answer the above.

Gord

wrote:

I am working in an excel file with 2 tabs (2 workbooks). I cannot copy paste
between workbooks.

If I open a new file with 2 tabs the copy / paste between tabs works fine.

What setting in the existing file could be causing this. I am using Excel
2000.

Thanks !

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

I tried to run in safe mode but still experience the same problem.

I have not reviewed the documentation you provided yet.

Thanks, Terry.