Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening more than 1 Excel Spreadsheet

I'm not sure if this is an Excel problem, but it doesn't do it in any of the
other software applications. If I have more than one Excel file open at a
time, I only get one tab on the bottom of my workspace instead of multiple
tabs. They are all stacked behind one open Excel spreadsheet which is really
messy and confusing to have to open them one at a time and close the others
in order to access them. Word doesn't do this and I can't find out what to
change to get out of this "stacking". Suggestions are welcome.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This happens to me when I have too many OTHER windows open, along with
several Excel documents. It'll stack them like that when there is no more
room on the taskbar to show them side-by-side. Depending on the size of your
monitor and the resolution, there will be more or less room for different
windows. For example, at work I have a 17" monitor set at 1024x768, and I can
have five different "tabs," as you say, in the taskbar. Change the settings
to 800x600, and then I can only have 4 tabs visible, and like programs are
stacked. That's just what it does. At home, on my 19", I can have 7 "tabs."

So, try closing other programs you have open or change your monitor
settings. Right click on the desktop and go to propertiessettingsscreen
resolution.

"Catlady" wrote:

I'm not sure if this is an Excel problem, but it doesn't do it in any of the
other software applications. If I have more than one Excel file open at a
time, I only get one tab on the bottom of my workspace instead of multiple
tabs. They are all stacked behind one open Excel spreadsheet which is really
messy and confusing to have to open them one at a time and close the others
in order to access them. Word doesn't do this and I can't find out what to
change to get out of this "stacking". Suggestions are welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh, and I totally forgot. You can change the taskbar properties. Right-click
the taskbar, and select properties unchceck "group similar taskbar buttons."
That'll fix the stacking..

"Catlady" wrote:

I'm not sure if this is an Excel problem, but it doesn't do it in any of the
other software applications. If I have more than one Excel file open at a
time, I only get one tab on the bottom of my workspace instead of multiple
tabs. They are all stacked behind one open Excel spreadsheet which is really
messy and confusing to have to open them one at a time and close the others
in order to access them. Word doesn't do this and I can't find out what to
change to get out of this "stacking". Suggestions are welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Catlady,

I think when you say "tab" you're referring to taskbar buttons on the taskbar. If you want
to see one button for each workbook that's open, do Tools - Options - View tab, and check
"Windows in taskbar." This has nothing to do, by the way, with sheet tabs, of which there's
one for each sheet in a workbook.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com