Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Alt Down Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank cells

How come the AltDown Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank
cells in the column?

Is there a way to direct the shortcut to look at the entire column
without doing data validation?

Thank you so very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The shortcut Alt+Down is marked as pertaining
to a Filter. When I try it it only works on the cell
you use to select the filtering.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sortx2k.htm

What is it that you want to do?
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Techy Wannabe" wrote in message oups.com...
How come the AltDown Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank
cells in the column?

Is there a way to direct the shortcut to look at the entire column
without doing data validation?

Thank you so very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alt + Down Arrow opens the "Pick from drop down list"

I think you mean CTRL + Down Arrow and yes, it does stop at the first blank
cell.

How come? Cause that's the way it is.

Selecting cells in this manner has nothing in common with Data Validation that I
can think of.

To overcome the blank cells problem I use this macro to select the last cell in
a column.

Sub GODOWN()
Dim maxrow As Long
With ActiveCell.Parent.UsedRange
maxrow = .Cells(.Cells.Count).Row + 1
End With
ActiveCell.Parent.Cells(maxrow, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp).Select
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 28 Feb 2007 14:38:22 -0800, "Techy Wannabe"
wrote:

How come the AltDown Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank
cells in the column?

Is there a way to direct the shortcut to look at the entire column
without doing data validation?

Thank you so very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Alt Down Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank cell

Hi, I apologize if I was not clear. I do want to pick from a drop down list
using Alt + Down Arrow.

It is just annoying that if a cell is blank within the column the drop down
does not retrieve the above info.

Thanks.

wrote:

How come the AltDown Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank
cells in the column?

Is there a way to direct the shortcut to look at the entire column
without doing data validation?

Thank you so very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, I want to keep my entries in a column uniform but have the ability to do
a hard entry. I sue the Alt + down arrow to see what I have previously
entered and choose from the list or enter the new term. If I skip one cell
then the drop down is empty. It will not show the entries above the blank
cell.

I hope this make more sense.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

The shortcut Alt+Down is marked as pertaining
to a Filter. When I try it it only works on the cell
you use to select the filtering.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sortx2k.htm

What is it that you want to do?
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Techy Wannabe" wrote in message oups.com...
How come the AltDown Arrow Shortcut doesn't work when there are blank
cells in the column?

Is there a way to direct the shortcut to look at the entire column
without doing data validation?

Thank you so very much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After a re-read I must admit that you were clearer in your description than I
was in my interpretation.

I agree that the "pick from list" blank cells limitation is not a great feature
but have no workaround for it other than a DV dropdown.

I would like the "pick from list" option extended to adjacent cells across rows
also but maybe next version.

Gord