Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can not open .xlsx file in Office 2007 Beta 2

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This seems to be a recurring problem. I just assisted another person here
with similar problem (beta created files not opening). He sent me the file
as email attachment, I used Excel 2007 to open it and save back as regular
97-2007 .xls file and sent it back to him. Worked for him.

Remember, Beta is closed, Office/Excel 2007 is now a released product.

We can try the fix I did for the other person if you want: send as
attachments to email to (remove spaces)
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com

I suggest that you change the filename from .xlsx to almost anything else,
such as .xxx - it seems that Outlook 2007 considers .xlsx files to be
"potentially dangerous attachments" and wants to deny me access to them and
classify the whole deal as Junk Email. Go figure. Remind me in the email
what the original filenames were.

"Burger23" wrote:

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sadly I was not able to assist with this. Hopefully someone else will come
up with another possible solution.

Burger23 sent me the two files and I attempted to open them with the current
retail version of Excel 2007.

One of the two files appears to actually be corrupted, and Excel 2007 says
it is corrupted and there is no hope of opening it.

The second file gives me the same "go back and use Beta 2 to open and save
the file" message that Burger23 is getting. Since I never had Beta 2, no
help from me there either.

I've recommended possibly setting up a VirtualPC on his machine with the
Beta 2 Excel software on it long enough to open the file, save it again,
perhaps even saving to the older .xls (excel 97-2003) format and then reading
it with his current version of Excel 2007.

If anyone else has any other recommendations or a better solution, I'm sure
he would love to hear about it.

"Burger23" wrote:

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Patrick posted this list

Files created in B1 only open in B1 & B1TR.
B1TR files only open B1TR & B2
B2 files only open in B2, B2TR & RTM
B2TR files only open in B2TR & RTM
RTM files only open in RTM

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Burger23" wrote:

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for that recap of limitations on this. It will help.

I'm going to play around at setting up som virtual machines with whatever
Beta copies I can find (I found Beta2 laying around here, not sure if I have
earlier releases on disk or not). I imagine I'll have to fool around with
the system date since most were time constrained - with Beta 2 timing out on
Feb 1.

It seems there may be a bit of a call for this type of help as time goes on,
since this is the second request of this type I've seen in about 3 days.

But it also points out one of the pitfalls of using Beta versions of
anythign for your mainstream work: not something you really want to do. But
in these cases I feel that these people were trying to help Microsoft by
being guinea pigs for the software and now they are left holding the bag with
files they cannot open any more because of the progression of the beta
program.

"Burger23" wrote:

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks so much for trying, JLatham.

To troubleshoot this issue, I have an old computer that I just installed
Office 2007 Beta 1 on. It also produced the same error. So we can assume that
the file was not created using Beta 1. This also confirms the chart below
that Ron posted- Beta 1 files can only be read by Beta 1 system.

Then I removed Beta 1 and installed what I think is Beta 2, before the
technical refresh (12.4017.-- Excel.exe dated 4/30/06) and I was able to
successfully load the one non-corrupted file. I saved it as .xls and all is
well.

The file was created in May 2006, which was before the TR for Beta 2- so we
can assume that it was created under Beta 2 (or possibly Beta 1TR). The only
variable that I cannot test is if the file was created using a Beta 1 TR-- I
do not have a copy of Beta 1 TR-- in fact, I do not remember a TR being
issued to the public. Can anyone confirm when a TR for Beta 1 was issued? And
when Beta 2 was issued?

Hopefully this may help the next person- I am getting the final product
tomorrow by attending the launch event here in Seattle.

Posted by Ron:

Files created in B1 only open in B1 & B1TR.
B1TR files only open B1TR & B2
B2 files only open in B2, B2TR & RTM
B2TR files only open in B2TR & RTM
RTM files only open in RTM

Thanks again for everyone's input.

"Burger23" wrote:

I am using Office 2007 Beta 2 with the Technical redresh installed (
version 12.0.4407.1005). I am trying to open 2 files created in 05/06 and
saved in the .xlsx format. I am getting the following error message:

"The wordbook was created in an earlier beta version of Excel 2007, and it
cannot be opned in the current version of Excel. To open the workbook, you
must first open and save it in Excel 2007 Beta 2, and then you can opn it in
the current version of Excel."

Other xlsx workbooks created after this time open fine.

Ideas...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Would any of you be able to help with a similar issue?

I only installed one beta version of Office 2007: the "Beta 2" disk
which shipped with August 2006's PC Pro. So I guess that's pre
technical refresh. When the beta programme finished, we went back to
Office 2003.

I migrated my files, and my eldest son migrated his. Just now, my
youngest comes to me with a file he'd created & we can't open. Same
messages as above. File created in Jan 07, but the software hadn't
been updated since summer 06.

I can open it with Zip & examine the XML files - but he's got quite a
large table of numbers in there, so I'm not keen to go trying to
rebuild it from that!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peter

The file format was not fixed until RTM, it even changed after TR1.
Certainly files created in B1 or B2 (pre TR1) will NOT open in 2007 RTM

Unfortunately too, all versions of the Beta timed out yesterday

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

FREE UK OFFICE USER GROUP MEETING, MS READING, 27th APRIL 2007
www.officeusergroup.co.uk

wrote in message
ps.com...
Would any of you be able to help with a similar issue?

I only installed one beta version of Office 2007: the "Beta 2" disk
which shipped with August 2006's PC Pro. So I guess that's pre
technical refresh. When the beta programme finished, we went back to
Office 2003.

I migrated my files, and my eldest son migrated his. Just now, my
youngest comes to me with a file he'd created & we can't open. Same
messages as above. File created in Jan 07, but the software hadn't
been updated since summer 06.

I can open it with Zip & examine the XML files - but he's got quite a
large table of numbers in there, so I'm not keen to go trying to
rebuild it from that!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've not been having much of what I'd call success with this lately. A
gentleman in Russia sent me a Beta created file (not sure which version) just
2 days ago and I was unable to do anything with it: "corrupt file" reported.

You're certainly welcome to attach it to an email and send it to
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com (remove spaces)
and I'll give it a shot - but be prepared for unsuccessful results.

Would be nice if my "wish list" item for a converter to at least read all
versions and convert to RTM would come true -- then even if you were in a
situation like this, you could use such a converter to create 2007 format
file, then find anyone with 2007 and ask them to Save As pre-2007 compatible
file so you could recover the data, if not the functionality.

" wrote:

Would any of you be able to help with a similar issue?

I only installed one beta version of Office 2007: the "Beta 2" disk
which shipped with August 2006's PC Pro. So I guess that's pre
technical refresh. When the beta programme finished, we went back to
Office 2003.

I migrated my files, and my eldest son migrated his. Just now, my
youngest comes to me with a file he'd created & we can't open. Same
messages as above. File created in Jan 07, but the software hadn't
been updated since summer 06.

I can open it with Zip & examine the XML files - but he's got quite a
large table of numbers in there, so I'm not keen to go trying to
rebuild it from that!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

and... unfortunately, harsh though it seems, all beta versions were clear
and unambiguous, do not use this beta for important, mission critical files.

New conditional formatting feature or converter to recover beta files where
people have not heeded that warning? I know my preference and make no
mistake, someone from the dev team has to write this for a week or two, when
the file format, documented in an encyclopedia sized document to comply with
Open Format is changing underneath him/her

Just my £0.02

--

" wrote:

Would any of you be able to help with a similar issue?

I only installed one beta version of Office 2007: the "Beta 2" disk
which shipped with August 2006's PC Pro. So I guess that's pre
technical refresh. When the beta programme finished, we went back to
Office 2003.

I migrated my files, and my eldest son migrated his. Just now, my
youngest comes to me with a file he'd created & we can't open. Same
messages as above. File created in Jan 07, but the software hadn't
been updated since summer 06.

I can open it with Zip & examine the XML files - but he's got quite a
large table of numbers in there, so I'm not keen to go trying to
rebuild it from that!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Nick Hodge" wrote in message
and... unfortunately, harsh though it seems, all beta versions were clear
and unambiguous, do not use this beta for important, mission critical
files.

Oh sure, go read the fine print!

I'm surprised how many people didn't.

- Jon