Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Can not open .xlsx file in Office 2007 Beta 2

I've not been having much of what I'd call success with this lately. A
gentleman in Russia sent me a Beta created file (not sure which version) just
2 days ago and I was unable to do anything with it: "corrupt file" reported.

You're certainly welcome to attach it to an email and send it to
HelpFrom @ jlathamsite.com (remove spaces)
and I'll give it a shot - but be prepared for unsuccessful results.

Would be nice if my "wish list" item for a converter to at least read all
versions and convert to RTM would come true -- then even if you were in a
situation like this, you could use such a converter to create 2007 format
file, then find anyone with 2007 and ask them to Save As pre-2007 compatible
file so you could recover the data, if not the functionality.

" wrote:

Would any of you be able to help with a similar issue?

I only installed one beta version of Office 2007: the "Beta 2" disk
which shipped with August 2006's PC Pro. So I guess that's pre
technical refresh. When the beta programme finished, we went back to
Office 2003.

I migrated my files, and my eldest son migrated his. Just now, my
youngest comes to me with a file he'd created & we can't open. Same
messages as above. File created in Jan 07, but the software hadn't
been updated since summer 06.

I can open it with Zip & examine the XML files - but he's got quite a
large table of numbers in there, so I'm not keen to go trying to
rebuild it from that!