Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Default Macros crash, "Not enough memory"

Hi All.........
I have an Excel file with a BUNCH of macros. The file basically takes a
downloaded database as an Excel file and imports it and massages it and
Autofilters sections of it out to 15 different sheets.......the external file
is about 1.5MB and the entire combined thing is a little over 3MB, so it's
not really huge. Problem is on this 864MB/512MBRAM machine here at work, the
program crashes near the end and gives Out of Memory error. The same file
runs fine on my 1.2GB/512MBRAM machine at home, and even on my 366MB/160MBRAM
laptop.

There is 1.7GB free on the HD of the problem machine, and nothing in the
TrashBin......no other programs running......only difference that I can see
is the problem machine is on the network at work. The home machine is on a
wireless LAN, and the laptop is independent. I get the same results on the
problem machine using XL97, 2000, and 2002.

Any ideas would be appreciated..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Chuck,
Emptying the Temp file is usually the first thing to try.
I am not sure what the other things might be. <g
Start | Run | %temp%
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"CLR"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Thanks Jim, but that didn't work.

It appears that the problem is OS related rather than Excel related. Memory
is definately NOT the problem, even tho that is the Error Report. The
program consists of about 18 major macros that each work fine individually,
but fail about number 16 each time when they are run in succession, either by
another macro, or by hand.

Two computers using WinMe work fine, and one has only 160MBRAM. Two
computers using Win2000 failed, and five computers using WinXP failed.

It appears that there is some sort of control in those OS's which decides
that the program had done enough operations and prevents any further
operation. I don't know if it's limited to "number of lines of code" or
"number of macros" or what......but I need to solve the problem because this
program does in two minutes what the users were taking 3 hours to do by hand
each week.

Any other ideas?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chuck,
You have seven no votes and two yes votes.
I would think that says re-write the code.
Are all forms being unloaded and set to nothing?
How many variants are you using?
Are you using recursion in your code?
Is there something unusual in macro 15 or 16?
There is something wrong in the code and you have to find and change it.
Regards,
Jim Cone

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

I have every confidence that if I were to run the program on 100 more Me
machines it would work on every one of them, and if on 100 more XP machines
(if set up my our MIS dept) they would all fail. I don't use any forms. I
wouldn't know a "variant" or a "recursion" if they was to bite me in the
butt. Macros 15 and 16 are exact copies of the previous 10 macros with only
a couple of numbers changed to autofilter a different set of data out of the
database. If the code were "bad", it would seem that it would not run on the
Me machines either. All macros run, if run individually on the XP machines,
just not if ALL are run in sequence.

A puzzler....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313935/en-us
"Office Programs Stop Responding After You Upgrade to Windows XP"
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"CLR"
wrote in message

I have every confidence that if I were to run the program on 100 more Me
machines it would work on every one of them, and if on 100 more XP machines
(if set up my our MIS dept) they would all fail. I don't use any forms. I
wouldn't know a "variant" or a "recursion" if they was to bite me in the
butt. Macros 15 and 16 are exact copies of the previous 10 macros with only
a couple of numbers changed to autofilter a different set of data out of the
database. If the code were "bad", it would seem that it would not run on the
Me machines either. All macros run, if run individually on the XP machines,
just not if ALL are run in sequence.

A puzzler....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Thanks Jim, it sorta-kinda seems to be similar to my problem, close enough
that a try is in order......I'll do that Monday when I get back to work.
I'll probably have to ask MIS to pretty-please do it for me tho 'cause I
don't have rights to do much of anything out there. Thanks much for taking
the time to look that up for me. I've posted the same sort of question in
the windowsXP.general group but not much help there yet.....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

To prove there was not a bad spot in the code, I took the two macros at the
end of the string where the program crashed, and moved them away up forward
so they would be processed early...........the program processed them just
fine, and still failed in XP when it got to the point where the old macros
were.....failing on the new macro that is now in that position.....The
problem is not the code.......the code runs fine in Me

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

YOU ARE A STAR, KIND SIR!!!!!.......that did the trick. I had to run it
twice tho, to take advantage of the second part of setting it as "last
working with Windows Me", but it's simple and easy to do and most of all,
WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

BTW, I have three versions of Excel on this machine and it must be done for
each version to make the program run in that version.

Thanks again Jim.....
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

wrote in message

I have every confidence that if I were to run the program on 100 more Me
machines it would work on every one of them, and if on 100 more XP machines
(if set up my our MIS dept) they would all fail. I don't use any forms. I
wouldn't know a "variant" or a "recursion" if they was to bite me in the
butt. Macros 15 and 16 are exact copies of the previous 10 macros with only
a couple of numbers changed to autofilter a different set of data out of the
database. If the code were "bad", it would seem that it would not run on the
Me machines either. All macros run, if run individually on the XP machines,
just not if ALL are run in sequence.

A puzzler....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Follow-up note:
The Compatibility adjustment procedure worked fine in my case on Excel 97
and on Excel 2002 for running my program on a WinXP machine. HOWEVER, it
would NOT work on Excel 2000-SP3. In fact, it disabled Excel 2000-SP3 so it
would not even work at all.......this on 2 different WinXP machines..just a
heads-up for anyone trying the Compatibility adjustment.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3