Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging fields

Hello,

In two columns I have a First Name and in the Second columne I have a last
name is it possible for me to convert the firstname and the lastname into one
field? for example |Doe, John|. I have over 500 names I would need to convert
or merge. How do you advise

Thanks,

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If first name is in column A and Last name in B then in C put

=B1& ", "&A1

and copy down

--
-John Northwest11
is helpful.

" wrote:

Hello,

In two columns I have a First Name and in the Second columne I have a last
name is it possible for me to convert the firstname and the lastname into one
field? for example |Doe, John|. I have over 500 names I would need to convert
or merge. How do you advise

Thanks,

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=b1&", "&a1

But keep the original two columns. You'll be happy when you have to use just
the first name or just the last name.

Hide them if you have to, but keep them.

wrote:

Hello,

In two columns I have a First Name and in the Second columne I have a last
name is it possible for me to convert the firstname and the lastname into one
field? for example |Doe, John|. I have over 500 names I would need to convert
or merge. How do you advise

Thanks,

Kelly

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great that is exactly what I was my expected outcome :-)

So now that I am able to place the names in the same column, how would I
eliminate the columns A and B with keeping the new format that I have
greated. I have attempted to delete the columns with the fname and the lname
and the format is deleted as well.

--
Kelly

Hello,

In two columns I have a First Name and in the Second columne I have a last
name is it possible for me to convert the firstname and the lastname into one
field? for example |Doe, John|. I have over 500 names I would need to convert
or merge. How do you advise

Thanks,

Kelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To replace a formula with its calculated value.

Select the column(s) or cell(s) that contains the formula(s). Right click,
copy, paste special, value.

--
Kevin