Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dj dj is offline

Default Very large spreadsheet

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unless you are using XL 2007, a dual core processor will not affect
performance.
Likely you have a lot of volatile functions that are recalculated every time
you do something in XL. If you want some hints as to how to optimize
performance, see this white paper:

If you don't want to take the time to read through it, then post back with
examples of your most common formulas; perhaps someone can suggest more
efficient formulas that accomplish the same thing.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DJ" wrote:

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check out this link.

http://www.decisionmodels.com/index.htm

Throwing hardware at it will not help. Depending you your version of XL the
memeory that XL can address is limited. From your description it sounds like
your application might be better suited to a database than a spread sheet.

Note since you are over 65,536 formulas smart calc will be disabled for this
workbook and all of the funcitons will act as if they are volatile and will
recalc with every calculation... Nothing you can do about that.

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"DJ" wrote:

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Based on the description ALL of the functions will end up being vlaitile. As
soon as a spreadsheet has more than 65,536 dependancies Smart Calc no longer
functions and all of the functions become essentially volatile...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"DJ" wrote:

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excellent point.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DJ" wrote:

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there any historical data that could be converted from dynamic
formulas to static text? For instance, if a particular number is the
result of a formula and that number will never change because it occurs
in the past, copy that cell and paste it over itself as a value.

Additionally, if historical data needs to be a formula but is relevant
only to a particular timeframe, you could save that timeframe as a
separate file and refer to it as needed, instead of maintaining it in
the current file. That would reduce the current files demand for
resources.

Dave O