Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson Jim Thomlinson is offline

Default Very large spreadsheet

Based on the description ALL of the functions will end up being vlaitile. As
soon as a spreadsheet has more than 65,536 dependancies Smart Calc no longer
functions and all of the functions become essentially volatile...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dave F" wrote:

Unless you are using XL 2007, a dual core processor will not affect
performance.
Likely you have a lot of volatile functions that are recalculated every time
you do something in XL. If you want some hints as to how to optimize
performance, see this white paper:

If you don't want to take the time to read through it, then post back with
examples of your most common formulas; perhaps someone can suggest more
efficient formulas that accomplish the same thing.

Dave

--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"DJ" wrote:

I use a large spreadsheet with over 60,000 rows and 30 columns with formulas
such as Vlookup to track and update inventory for my business.

The spreadsheet is taking a long time to calculate, eventually it will
complete the task but it just seems to take an exceedingly amount of time
every time I make a change. I have 2GB memory and a P4 processor 4.3 Gh or
so. What is the correct hardware to use with such big spreadsheets? should
I get a workstation with a bunch of memory and dual core processor? Would
that solve the issue or will the spreadsheet still be sticky ?
--
DJ