Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JB JB is offline

Default Count Numbered Items

I am helping someone with a spreadsheet created to track numbered checks and
i want excel to calculate how many checks are in the numbered series i
provide. (ex. check #1 through and including check #5 would equal 5 checks).
I was going to use an equation of the difference plus 1, but I would prefer
to use a calculation created by excel for this inclusive counting of numbered
items.

Thank you!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JB,

If the check numbers are in column A, and you put your extents in E1 and E2,
this formula will count them:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A65535=E1)*(A1:A65535<=E2))

Don't use A65536! :)
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"JB" wrote in message
I am helping someone with a spreadsheet created to track numbered checks
and
i want excel to calculate how many checks are in the numbered series i
provide. (ex. check #1 through and including check #5 would equal 5
checks).
I was going to use an equation of the difference plus 1, but I would
prefer
to use a calculation created by excel for this inclusive counting of
numbered
items.

Thank you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JB JB is offline

Thanks Earl,

would this work if i'm putting the first check number in one cell and the
last check number in the cell next to it?

Thank you so much!

"JB" wrote in message
I am helping someone with a spreadsheet created to track numbered checks
and
i want excel to calculate how many checks are in the numbered series i
provide. (ex. check #1 through and including check #5 would equal 5
checks).
I was going to use an equation of the difference plus 1, but I would
prefer
to use a calculation created by excel for this inclusive counting of
numbered
items.

Thank you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JB,

You can put the beginning (E1) and ending (E2) cells anywhere you want. If
you build it the way I gave, you can then simply move those cells (edge-drag
them) to wherever you want, and the formula will readjust automagically. We
have the technology!
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com