Carlos

Default count number of items in a row? help *file included*

Heres a sample http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...B05HVLE2166564

So I want to count the number of ticks in each row and put the total
at the end of each row in the column named 1. I'm then gonna sort by
that column and just move the relevant total into the relevant column
(1, 2 or 3 or more).

It needs to be run on every row at the same time as there are 4500
rows in the proper file and I dont feel like doing it by hand row by
row.

Any help?! Thanks a lot

ok table looks something like this...

Patient Num " Cancer " Asthma " Diabetes " COPD " 1 " 2 " 3 or more "
1 y
2 y y
3 y y
4 y
5 y y y y

and I want

Patient Num " Cancer " Asthma " Diabetes " COPD " 1 " 2 " 3 or more "
1 y 1

2 y y 2
3 y y 2
4 y 1

5 y y y y 4

and then i'll format it from there

ok that messed up... the 1 2 2 1 4 are meant to be in the "1" column.
thanks

JulieD

Hi

in F2
=COUNTIF(B2:E2,"y")
and fill down
should give you what you're looking for
--
Cheers
JulieD
wrote in message
oups.com...
ok table looks something like this...

Patient Num " Cancer " Asthma " Diabetes " COPD " 1 " 2 " 3 or more "
1 y
2 y y
3 y y
4 y
5 y y y y

and I want

Patient Num " Cancer " Asthma " Diabetes " COPD " 1 " 2 " 3 or more "
1 y 1

2 y y 2
3 y y 2
4 y 1

5 y y y y 4

and then i'll format it from there

thanks, that works for one row, row 2.... but how do I fill down for
all the other rows, i'm stupid. thanks

Click on the cell in row 2 that you've done. In the bottom right-hand corner
there is a black square. Click on it and drag it down to autofill.

--
Andy.

wrote in message
ups.com...
thanks, that works for one row, row 2.... but how do I fill down for
all the other rows, i'm stupid. thanks

JulieD

definitely not stupid - you're asking questions :) none of us woke up one
day knowing this stuff ....

the fill handle is located at the bottom right hand corner of the cell, if
you move your cursor over it you will see a +, clicking & dragging down on
this will fill in a formula or a series (try typing january in a cell and
filling down or across) ....

if you're using the fill handle and you have a column of data to the left or
right of the cell you want to fill down, double clicking the + rather than
dragging is a quick alternative.

--
Cheers
JulieD