Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't Open Certain Excel Files in Folder

I am having problems opening certain excel files in a folder. I can open
some files but there are a few that give the following message:
This file cannot be accessed. Try one of the following:
- make sure file exist
- make sure folder is not read only
- does not contain <[]?:/
- not more than 218 characters
I have been working with these files and did copy them to another folder. I
can't access these certain files in any folder. I'm not sure what I have
done. I can open other excel files in this folder. Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Having same problem. Curious to know if your files were transferred from XP
to Vista via CD? Might your files be right protected? If so, do you know
how to unprotect?
--
Sadie

"Charles A C" wrote:

I am having problems opening certain excel files in a folder. I can open
some files but there are a few that give the following message:
This file cannot be accessed. Try one of the following:
- make sure file exist
- make sure folder is not read only
- does not contain <[]?:/
- not more than 218 characters
I have been working with these files and did copy them to another folder. I
can't access these certain files in any folder. I'm not sure what I have
done. I can open other excel files in this folder. Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sadie, I am still using XP. The problem started when I used Macros in a
large spreadsheet (with about 10 workbooks). Did you mean read protected? I
tried to change the "read protection" but that did not work as each time I
got the same message and when I returned to properties, the file was still
read only. I abandoned the macro file and finally used each workbook
separately without the use of Macros. The problem is still not solved and I
haven't received any answers or suggestionsa. Thanks for your post.
--
Charles C