Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default When opening spreadsheets filename increments

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Every excel file, or only certain ones of a particular type group, which
could all have the same macro therein............?

Which version of Excel?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Cameron" wrote:

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

2003
And this is happening to every Excel file opened. Also, it seems that when
you open a file rather then opening the original it opens a copy of it right
away. We have a few served excel files and these files refuse to open because
of how excel is behaving.

"Cameron" wrote:

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

I don't have 2003, so it could be something checked in Tools Options, that
I'm not familiar with.....otherwise, isolate.......will those same files open
from another computer ok or do they act the same...in other words, does the
problem appear to be with the files, or with a particular installation of
EXcel...

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Cameron" wrote:

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This sounds almost like the files are being saved as templates (.xlt) files,
so when they are opened next time, they are treated as a template and the old
name is preserved with a number added to it. Maybe do a quick check of the
actual filenames to make sure they are .xls and not .xlt??

"Cameron" wrote:

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cameron,

Are you opening the files directly from Outlook? If you are then you will
need to empty the temp files in the OLK folder.

"Cameron" wrote:

I have a slight problem, when opening excel files the software increments the
filename with a number and then when I save it I have to change the name and
over right the original file. How do I setup Excel so it stops making copies
of my orginal files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you opening .xls files by doubleclicking them in windows explorer?

And do the workbooks that are opened look like:
mybook1
mybook2
mybookN
(no extension at all???)

If all that's true, then it sounds like windows thinks that the file should be
treated as a Template. If you rightclick on that file in windows explorer, do
you see Open in bold or New in bold?

If you see New in bold, then the first thing I'd try is to reregister excel.

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

Then test it out.

If that doesn't work...

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

--

Dave Peterson