Lee

Default Multiple If True Values?

Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.
Bernard Liengme

Start by experimenting with Format|Conditional Formatting
Then come back if more help is needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Lee" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and
if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

JulieD

Hi Lee

you can use conditional formatting on the "another cell"
e.g.
click on the cell
choose format / conditional formatting
choose
formula is
type something along the lines of
=AND(A1=10,B1=5)
click the format button - choose your formatting
and click OK twice

- if you'ld like more assistance please post back the cell reference of the
"two" cells and the "certain combination" that you want to test for.

Cheers
JulieD

"Lee" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and
if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

JE McGimpsey

Check out "Conditional Formatting" in XL Help.

For instance, with cell C4 selected, and checking the TRUE/FALSE value
in A1 and B2, choose Format/Conditional formatting...

CF1: Formula is =AND(A1,B2) <==both A1 and B1 true
Format1: Green

CF2: Formula is =OR(A1,B2) <==A1 or B2 true, but not both
Format2: Yellow

CF3: Formula is =NOT(OR(A1,B2)) <==both A1 and B1 false
Format3: Red

In article ,
Lee wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

David McRitchie

Hi Lee,
If by format of another cell you restrict yourself to the font, background
color of cell, or shading pattern then you can use Conditional Formatting
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

Otherwise you would need to use programming, and it would be easier
to answer with a programming question if you stated exactly what you
wanted to do with cell addresses and if it is for an entire column, but
you cannot do that with Excel formulas. A formula cannot change the
value of another cell, and cannot change the formatting of any cell
including itself..
---
HTH,

"Lee" wrote in ...
Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

..

Lee

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm sorry for my ignorance - way over my head
here.

I believe the Conditional Formatting will do the trick (I didn't even know
you could use a formula there).

I've tried the formula "=AND(AA10=6,AB10=2)" and conditionally formatted to
change the background color of this cell to red when true.

However even when AA10=6 and AB10=2, the cell color still doesn't change?

Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using combo box
selections to make AA10=6 and AB10=2?

Thank you guys so much for your help.
Lee

"Lee" wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

JulieD

Hi Lee

1) which cell are you putting the conditional formatting on
2) no " " in the formula
3) when the information AA10 and AB2 is selected via the drop down list are
the resulting values in these cells numbers or text - use
=ISNUMBER(AA10) or =ISTEXT(AA10) to answer this question, if they are text
try
=AND($AA$10="6",$AB$10="2")
if numbers try
=AND($AA$10=6,$AB$10=2)

Cheers
JulieD

"Lee" wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells,
and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another
cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Lee

IT WORKED!

The Dollar Signs did the trick.

Thank you so much, and to the gentlemen for their suggestions as well.

You people are geniuses.

Thank You.
Lee