HHG

Default I cannot get a column of numbers to sum, why?

I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!
barnabel

Is it possible that the bank numbers downloaded as text? If you select one
of the cells and look at the value in the fomula window you will see a single
quote infront of the number.

Create a column next to the bank numbers that say "=value(C1)" (assuming the
banks number is in C1) and then copy that down the column. Then you should
be able to sum that.

"HHG" wrote:

I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

R.VENKATARAMAN

probably the numbers you copied from your bank are in text format.

if these are in text format follow these steps
1. in an empty cell type 1(the nummber one)
2. when using this cell use absolute reference
3. edit and copy this cell and highlight the firstnumber and
edit-pastespecial-multiply(under operation in the middle). the number in
textformat will become in number format.
copy this down to all the numbers.
perhaps now the sum function will work.

HHG wrote in message
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column,

and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

HHG wrote:
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

Are you sure they're actually numbers and not text? If you have an
entry in cell A1, for example, then over in B1 put:

[B1] = isnumber(A1)

That will tell you definitively whether it's actually text. If it is
you need to convert to numbers before you can sum them. For example:

[B1] = value(A1)

Good luck...

Bill
HHG

Well...it is NOT a number, but when I entered in "=value(E235)" it returned a
#VALUE! error. E235 is ONE of the cells I am trying to fix. Any other
ideas? They look like numbers, nothing indicates that they are not (except
your little test, and the fact they wont add!) I'm at my witts end...thanks
for any additional help you can give me...if you are able to. - HHG

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

HHG wrote:
[...]

HHG

In step 2, what do you mean by "when using this cell use absolute reference"?
what I know about absolute reference is something like this: $a$1 How would
I use this in what you are saying...sorry I'm not thinking very straight
right now...thanks for your help!

HHG wrote in message
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column,

and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

Mark

Copy the contents of the page, not sheet copy but select
all cells will do and paste into a new sheet. The sheet
you are using maybe a text sheet or web page that looks
like an excel sheet. better to open a new workbook and
paste the clipboard contents into that one then try the
sum.

also,
If you highlight the column of numbers, your status bar at
the bottom right (in the grey part) will show the sum
value.
- Mark

See my stuff at:

http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway

Joke of the day:
Q: What's the difference between mens toilet and womens
toilet?

A: Mens toilet seat is always wet!!

HA! ha! Ha!

I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that

I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a

big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried

reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in

the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to

type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the

column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!
.

R.VENKATARAMAN

aplogise. there is a bit of confusion in those instsrucstion. lprobably
sleepy mood

now again
in exmpty cell enter 1
edit copy this cell
highlight the whole range where you have taken from the bank
now edit pastespecial multiply
the numbers will be now in number format.

mine excel 2000
this time I tested in my excel.

HHG wrote in message
I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to

add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I

down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the

cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next

column,
and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over

3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:53:01 -0800, HHG wrote:

I have tried everything! I have a column of numbers that I need to add
together, and I cannot get it to work. All I get in a big fat 0! I down
loaded the information from my bank. I have tried reformatting the cells,
but nothing seems to help. If I type in the numbers in the next column, and
use the sum function, it works...but I do not want to type in over 3000
numbers! I have even tried copying and pasting the column to another
column...I am stumped...can anyone help - PLEASE!

With a number in A1, try this formula:

=--TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(160),""))

to convert the entry to text. You should then be able to add the numbers.

--ron