Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does Excel 2000 crash when formatting a cell to Date?

XP Home
Office 2000

(2) user accounts, both administrative.

One user account works fine. When logged in under the other account, Excel
crashes when you try to format a cell to a date format. All other formats
work (Text, Currency, Number...). When I right click in a cell and select
format cell, once I select date, Excel shutsdown. If a cell is already in
Date format and I right click. As soon as I select format cell, Excel
shutsdown.

This does not happen in the other administrative account. It's not document
dependant as this happens on a new spreadsheet.

I've tried restoring the system to a couple days prior, beginning of the
month and 3 months and it still does the same thing. Is it something in the
registry?

Thanks for any help on this.

John Vey
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pure guesses...

#1. Clean up your windows Temp folder
close excel
Windows start button|Run
%temp%

And clean up as much as you can.

Open excel and test it out.

#2. Try changing to a different printer--load a different printer driver even
if you don't have a physical printer attached to the pc.

#3. Try opening excel in Safe mode and testing it once more.
close excel
windows start button|Run
type this and hit enter
excel /safe

Then use File|Open to open your workbook to test it.

Starting excel in safe mode stops lots of things from loading--including a
customized toolbar (*.xlb).

If this works, I'd close excel and find that *.xlb file(s) and rename them to
see if they were the trouble.

Use windows search and look for *.xlb (location and name will vary with the
versions of windows and excel you used).

Rename that *.xlb file to *.xlbOLD

restart excel and test it out a bit.

This does mean that you'll have to recreate any customized changes to your
toolbars, though.

If it doesn't help, delete any newly created *.xlb files and rename the *.xlbOLD
back to *.xlb.

=======
Remember that these are just guesses--they may not help at all.

J.Vey wrote:

XP Home
Office 2000

(2) user accounts, both administrative.

One user account works fine. When logged in under the other account, Excel
crashes when you try to format a cell to a date format. All other formats
work (Text, Currency, Number...). When I right click in a cell and select
format cell, once I select date, Excel shutsdown. If a cell is already in
Date format and I right click. As soon as I select format cell, Excel

--

Dave Peterson