Peter Jefferson

Default Sorting merged cells of differant sizes

I have at least 4 columbs and an varable amount of rows to deal with.

Trying to sort my data by first columb only I get error message of:
requires the merged cells to be identically sized.

I then formatedd all rows heights to 14 and columd widths to 9.
Received same error message. Any insight please?
Ken Wright

You need to get rid of those merged cells. They cause nothing but grief,
and the same effect can usually be had by using Format / Cells / Alignment
tab / Horizontal / centre across selection.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Peter Jefferson" <Peter wrote in
message ...
I have at least 4 columbs and an varable amount of rows to deal with.

Trying to sort my data by first columb only I get error message of:
requires the merged cells to be identically sized.

I then formatedd all rows heights to 14 and columd widths to 9.
Received same error message. Any insight please?

tjtjjtjt

This means that some of the cells in the Range are Merged and some of them
aren't. For instance:
A1:B1 has been merged
A2:B2 has not
If you try to Sort these columns, you will never get it to work unless ALL
of the cells are merged in the same way as A1:B1 (A2:B2;A3:B3;etc.).

Not that this will help you now, but, if you plan to Sort, you should never
Merge. In fact, you're probably better off never Merging at all.
Consider exploring Format | Cells | Alignment | Horizontal Alignment |
Center Across Selection as an alternative.

tj