Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default query a spreadsheet

I have two spreadsheets. One is a complete list of our customer database and
the other is customers who registered for a conference. I'm looking for a
way to pull out from our excel list only the customers who registered so I
can do some mailouts to them.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, if you're looking to do a query, the best thing to do would be to
import those two sheets into Access and run a query of the link of customer
names.

I.e., a select query from the customer address list, filtering for those
records which also appears in your registered customer list.

Another thing to try, which I've never done before, but I believe can be
done, is to use Excel's MS query tool to query those two data tables as
separate Excel workbooks.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"sandy" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets. One is a complete list of our customer database and
the other is customers who registered for a conference. I'm looking for a
way to pull out from our excel list only the customers who registered so I
can do some mailouts to them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm assuming you have a unique identifying number (like customer number) on
both sheets, if this is the case you can use the 'vlookup' function to match
the data you need.
--
T Tipsy

"sandy" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets. One is a complete list of our customer database and
the other is customers who registered for a conference. I'm looking for a
way to pull out from our excel list only the customers who registered so I
can do some mailouts to them.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Dave this worked because we do not have a unique identifying
number. I do not know how to get a list of those customers attending the
conference who are not in my member base...is there a "not equal" operator I
can use in the criteria of my query that will display records from my
conference that do not appear in my database? Thanks so very very much!