Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
George Applegate

Default query in excel

I am accessing some files via query in excel. Occasionally though,
after creating the query (which I save), I have to make some changes
or modifications to get it exactly the way I want. When I do this,
and try to save the query again, I get an error message saying:

Microsoft Excel
A query with this name already exists on this sheet.

It won't let me save the revised query with the same name. I am not
sure I fully understand why this is happening, or how excel associates
query names within it. Can you have multiple queries in a spreadsheet?
Once a query is created and attached to a spreadsheet, can it no
longer be revised/renamed??

I have struggled finding a book or some documentation that would give
some insight to this. I think this is a very powerful tool to pull
information from files on another system via SQL, right into excel,
but I'd like to occasionally be able to make changes to the initial
query and save it with the same name - and the same spreadsheet.

I'm kind of confused on this. Can anyone point me in the right
direction, either explain the relationship of query/excel, or a book
that would do it? I haven't seemed to find the right combination on
the internet through google.

thanks,
ga
George Applegate