Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Gklass

Default new time series chart type

The New York Times (the printed edition, I can't find it on line) new
uses a very interesting chart type to display stock price trends.

It shows the stock price trendline and straight lines from the base year
indicating +\- constant percentage changes.

They look something like this:
http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/poverty.gif
except:
The x axis is scaled so the the percentage change produces straight lines.
It includes several constant percentage change lines with the areas
shaded: a plus or minus five percent growth rate will be shaded dark, a
ten percent, shaded lighter.

If I spent all day, I image I could produce one of these, but I was
wondering if someone already had a macro that would do it.
--
Gary M. Klass
Associate Professor

ISU\IWU Habitat Collegiate Home
<http://lilt.ilstu.edu/habitat/
SECA # 903 - 0234
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

Gary:

I get the Boston Globe, not NYT. However, since the NYT owns the Globe, the
3 month DJIA trend charts are the same.

To save you a day, I have reproduced a 90 day DJIA chart using the
NYT/Boston Globe format. I've made the up and down %s user changeable. I've
also made the 90 day period user changeable.

As far as I can tell, the NYT/Boston Globe X axis scale is just plain
linear. They simply calculate what the resulting DJIA would be 3 months out
from the start date, then draw a straight line between 1st and last dates.
this is different that the method used in your example.

I haven't added the shading between straight lines. There are several
add-ins that you could use if you want to add this feature.

I posted the xls workbook on my site. You'll find a downloadable link at
left bottom of home page. Let me know if it is close to what you were
looking for.

http://processtrends.com/

"Gklass" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Gary -

Applying a log scale to the Y axis would produce the straight lines. There
are several examples of such arbitrary axis scales on my web site:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...tml#AxisScales

The shading could be produced with stacked area chart series having
carefully engineered values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Gklass" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Gklass

Kelly O'Day wrote:

Kelly:
Thanks! I really like your website, you've done some really good work.