Yaniv

Default Can I add an average series to a chart with 2 or more series?

Hi,

I have an XY line scatter chart with 10 series and i'd like to add a series
which present the average scatter line of these 10 series. the number of
points in each series is different, but the size of the series line is the
same since the X values have the same range.

1. is it possible to acheive such graph?
2. how do i do that?

thanks
Barb R.

I assume that your data for the XY scatter is in this format;

X value Y1 Y2 Y3 Y4 Y5 ... Y10

After the last column of Y values, enter the equation for AVERAGE

Copy that series and paste it onto the original chart. Ensure that the
range of Y values for the Average is consistent with the range for X values.

"Yaniv" wrote:

Hi,

I have an XY line scatter chart with 10 series and i'd like to add a series
which present the average scatter line of these 10 series. the number of
points in each series is different, but the size of the series line is the
same since the X values have the same range.

1. is it possible to acheive such graph?
2. how do i do that?

thanks

Yaniv

Sorry, but your assumption was wrong.
each series has its own X values, that's why i want the average to be shown
visually because i can't figure out Y on a series that didn't include a
matching X i wan't excel to predict this value. for example if on series 4
the X's were (10, 20, 30) i need to figure out what was Y(15) because on
series 7 the X's were (10, 15, 35). i don't know how to average these
different series.

10x
yaniv

"Yaniv" wrote:

Hi,

I have an XY line scatter chart with 10 series and i'd like to add a series
which present the average scatter line of these 10 series. the number of
points in each series is different, but the size of the series line is the
same since the X values have the same range.

1. is it possible to acheive such graph?
2. how do i do that?

thanks

Yaniv

the problem is that each series has it's own X's, so if one series has for
example X's = (10, 20, 30) and the other X's (15, 25, 35) i dont know the
matching Y's for cases where the points don't intersect. i need the chart to
calculate the average value between the lines, not the points. I hope i'm
understood now...

thanks

"Yaniv" wrote:

Hi,

I have an XY line scatter chart with 10 series and i'd like to add a series
which present the average scatter line of these 10 series. the number of
points in each series is different, but the size of the series line is the
same since the X values have the same range.

1. is it possible to acheive such graph?
2. how do i do that?

thanks

Jon Peltier

This is what makes your request difficult, and it's why I didn't reply
at first: too wiggly a can of worms. You'd have to pick some kind of
interpolation routine, or else define best fit relationships for the
data, and average these at selected X values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services