Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tom

Default Histogram?

I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm amazed that
there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can find
neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

What I am trying to do is set-up some a series of bins, then look through a
column of data to plot the frequency that the data within the range falls
into each bin as the height of the bars corresponding to the bins.

Has anybody already solved this problem?

Thanks,

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mike Middleton

Tom -

The usual chart type for a histogram is the Excel Column chart type.

Another possibility is the Histogram tool, part of the Analysis ToolPak that
ships with Excel. Choose Tools | Data Analysis | Histogram | Help for
details. (If Data Analysis is not an item on your Tools menu, see if it's
listed at Tools | Add-Ins and check the box. If it's not listed as an
available add-in, use your Excel/Office CD to install it.)

And, another possibility is my free Better Histogram add-in, available for
download from www.treeplan.com.

Jon Peltier, resident chart guru, may have his Even Better Histogram
approach available soon. Check his web site for histogram and other chart
information at http://peltiertech.com.

- Mike
www.mikemiddleton.com

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm amazed
that
there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can find
neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

What I am trying to do is set-up some a series of bins, then look through
column of data to plot the frequency that the data within the range falls
into each bin as the height of the bars corresponding to the bins.

Has anybody already solved this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter

On Thu, 25 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Tom said:

I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm amazed that
there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can find
neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

It is amazing, isn't it? It's part of how Excel is just generally weak
on statistics graphing. There's no built-in box-and-whisker plot either
(don't get me started on how badly Pivot tables support medians,
quartiles, etc.) There are some tools in the Data Analysis Pak add-in,
but they're not worth much.

Use the COUNTIF() function to make a table based on the data set, then
plot that range.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tom

"Mike Middleton" wrote in
:

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a very basic chart type: a histogram. I'm
amazed that
there is no "histogram" type of chart already in Excel, but I can
find neither it nor any type that I could adapt to that application.

What I am trying to do is set-up some a series of bins, then look
through a
column of data to plot the frequency that the data within the range
falls into each bin as the height of the bars corresponding to the
bins.

Has anybody already solved this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks, Mike. I tried both. I like yours better.

--Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Haven't gotten a chance to post that one yet.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions