Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Charting depending on criteria & data series name as a column val

I want to chart some prices as I want to take a look at price trends.

My problems, and I can not figure out how to solve them, a
1. Is it possible to dynamically change the chart depending on certain
criteria (product family & selected customers)
2. As the number of customers is variable and they are in one of the
columns. Is it possible to plot a series (customer name), depending on the
name of a column?
3. I want to chart the data based on the date, but just include the dates
available, to prevent periods of time showing no change (e.g. I don't want
monthly ticks for the x axis when I have two different prices, one for 2007
and other for 2009) I think I can define the X Axis as category, but the
mixed up customers and dates, it doesn't work, unless I just have one
customer.

Here it is an example of my data:

Product Familiy Customer Name Price Date
A1 A 1 01/01/2008
A1 A 2 01/03/2008
A1 A 3 01/05/2008
A1 A 4 01/07/2008
A1 A 5 01/09/2008
A1 B 1.2 15/02/2008
A1 B 1.8 15/04/2008
A1 B 1.9 15/06/2008
A1 B 2 15/08/2008
A1 B 2.5 15/10/2008
A1 C 1 25/03/2008
A1 C 1.5 25/06/2008
A1 C 2 25/09/2008
A1 C 2.5 25/12/2008
A1 C 3 25/03/2009

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It sounds like you're wanting to use dynamic charting. To do this, you're
going to need to become familiar with using named ranges and possibly some
control boxes. I'd recommend taking a look at Jon Peltier's site:

He has several pages dealing with various types of dynamic charting.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Mr.LuckyMe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Charting depending on criteria & data series name as a column

Luke,

Thanks for your help.

I think my case is different. Usually for charting you use a column for
X-Axis and the series are identified as the headings of different columns
containing the data to be charted. In my case I have the X-Axis defined as
column, the values are in columns, BUT the series names are in columns, they
are not the heading of different columns.

I took a look at the Jon Peltier's site and he addresses the dynamic charts,
in my case the data is constant, the X-Axis is depending on dates that I can
define as a category (Chart options, X-Axis).

If a define the series sorted out by customer, I can get very easily the
right name for each series, but the dates are mixed up, if I sort the dates
the customers are mixed up and it is harder to define manually the series.

Any hint?

Thanks,