Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default scatter chart won't accept primary axis

Can someone explain what is happening. I have a very standard line graph w/
dates in col.A & values in col.F. In cols. X&Y I have the following.

06/30/08 2.95 These pairs of data represent
trend lines in the
-- 07/25/08 4.21 original data.
"space"
08/04/08 3.41
0910/08 4.95
"space"
01/27/09 .36
02/11/09 .49
I select the two ranges, copy, select chart and ctrl+V. I choose this
secondary graph to be a scatter chart. It appears as I want except it needs
to be on the primary axis. I select axis option, primary axis. The
selection goes into a non-response period for quite a long time and leaves me
with a x-axis range from 2008 to 2093. If I add a third set of trend lines
the non-response time extends forever and it has no idea what range I want,
GeneS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You left out a few important details:

What version of Excel (include latest SP) are you using?
What is in the graph before you added this data?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"Gene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm using 2007, I've donwloaded sp2. The chart I added to was consecutive
dates in column A and an equal number of values interspersed with #N/A in
col. F. Since I last wrote I downloade Mehtas algorithm forspecxifying date
limits. It didn't solve the problem but it did allow me create the chart
after a long wait each time. In fact I thought I had it licked when without
my unmderstanding, I started to get response. I was even able to copy the
chart, add data, create chart sheets, everything I wanted. I shut down for
the evening and when I tried to load again Excel simply shut down. "Window
is looking at the problem. I'm baffled!!
--
GeneS

"Gene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How many dates are in column A? Excel 2003 has disappointing chart
performance with data sets that don't seem all that large. SP2 is reputed to
have helped with this, but I don't think by a spectacular amount (i.e., not
close to previous version performance).

I haven't known it to be so bad as to completely crash Excel and not allow
it to restart.

- Jon
-------

"Gene" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'vee had some revelations since I last wrote. I believe the Excel crashes
were a result of leaving a chart sheet open. It seems to happen every time.
At least on this program. I haven't tried it elsewhere. I got around the
switch of a secondary axis to a primary by introducing T. Mehtas' algorithm.
I left the secondary active while I stipulated the limits for it to be the
catagory limits of the primary. I think it continued to use the secondary
axis but the stipulation allowed me to ignor the numerics of the scatter
chart. I'm left with the appearance of the secondary axis but at least my
data lines up. Whether or not this jockeying can cause the chart sheet to
act as it does I do not know. Thanks for your interest.
--
GeneS