Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel: using data labels as markers

I want to show the distribution of properties of products across two axes.
Excel 2003 sp3, on Win XP sp2

How do I place the code numbers of the products at the coordinates, i.e.
using text in a cell as the marker for each point? I used to be able to do
this easily in Quattro, but cannot see a way in Excel.

The following Help instructions do not work:
"Reestablish links between data labels and worksheet cells
Click a chart sheet or an embedded chart to display the Chart menu.
On the Chart menu, click Chart Options.
On the Data Labels tab, select the Automatic text check box. "
because there is no automatic text check box

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You can use a free addin to make the link between data labels and cell text
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Velson Horie" wrote in message
I want to show the distribution of properties of products across two axes.
Excel 2003 sp3, on Win XP sp2

How do I place the code numbers of the products at the coordinates, i.e.
using text in a cell as the marker for each point? I used to be able to
do
this easily in Quattro, but cannot see a way in Excel.

The following Help instructions do not work:
"Reestablish links between data labels and worksheet cells
Click a chart sheet or an embedded chart to display the Chart menu.
On the Chart menu, click Chart Options.
On the Data Labels tab, select the Automatic text check box. "
because there is no automatic text check box

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you, this is a considerable improvement on Excel, but does not achieve
what is required. I want to replace the marker by the text, not have it in
addition. The only way I can do it using the Addin is by setting the marker
to "none", then moving the label down by 9 points to sit over the position
where the marker was. Then when I change the shape of the chart, everything
goes out of position.

Is there a method of telling Excel to use the text as marker instead of the
pre-defined marker graphic?

Velson