Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart Option "Sized with Window" in XL 2007 ??

Hello;

Could someone please advise on where to find the chart option "Sized with
Window" in XL 2007 ?
I've tried under "View", "Chart Tools", "Format", "Layout", "Help", etc.
with no luck!
In XL 2003, the chart option is under "View".

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This option is unfortunately no longer available in Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"monir" wrote in message
Hello;

Could someone please advise on where to find the chart option "Sized with
Window" in XL 2007 ?
I've tried under "View", "Chart Tools", "Format", "Layout", "Help", etc.
with no luck!
In XL 2003, the chart option is under "View".

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the info.
FYI. I've just been advised by VoG II, MrExcel MVP, that moving a data point
on XY-chart is also no longer available in XL 2007!!

I'm sure there're many other and probably more serious features/options
removed in XL 2007, which make one wonders if the conversion is really worth
the effort!

Regards.

"monir" wrote in message
Hello;

Could someone please advise on where to find the chart option "Sized with
Window" in XL 2007 ?
I've tried under "View", "Chart Tools", "Format", "Layout", "Help", etc.
with no luck!
In XL 2003, the chart option is under "View".

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yep, that's gone too.

Positive changes to the charts in 2007 are minimal. These include the
ability to choose a log base other than 10 for a log scale axis (minimally
useful) and the ability to format the lines connecting points and the error
bars to show an arrowhead.

Negative changes to the charts in 2007 are plentiful. No size with window,
no goal seek (dragging a point to change the underlying data). Less
efficient interface (dialogs and ribbon tabs) for editing charts. Loss of
F4/Repeat Last Action for all but the most insignificant changes.

Some things were lost, and while I don't miss them other people do. Loss of
custom built-in chart types from the UI. Loss of fill patters from the UI.

Some things were gained, and while I don't consider them worthy additions,
other like them. The extensive enhancements to chart element formatting
comes to mind. Big whoop, now your charts can have twice as much junk as
ever before, rivaling Dundas and ChartFX.

All in all, upgrading is a step down. I use Excel 2003 for all of my own
work. I use Excel 2007 because many clients have switched (some have
switched back), but I keep it sequestered in its own VirtualPC session.

- Jon
-------

"monir" wrote in message
Hello;

Could someone please advise on where to find the chart option "Sized
with
Window" in XL 2007 ?
I've tried under "View", "Chart Tools", "Format", "Layout", "Help",
etc.
with no luck!
In XL 2003, the chart option is under "View".

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon;

Thanks again for your helpful reply and honest assessment!

1) Shortly following your earlier response and out of concern that it might
not be a good idea after all to convert to XL 2007, I posted a new thread:
"List of Features/Options/Functions NO LONGER Available in XL 2007 ??"
in "MS General Question DG" and cross-posted it in "MrExcel Excel Question"
using MS Advanced Option for cross-posting the same question.
(I used the address: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/ .... )
Since my question didn't appear at MrExcel, I had to post it directly at
MrExcel forum using the same title and a note at the top: "This is a
cross-post".
(I know this might upset some who would consider this as multi-posting and I
apologize for that. Perhaps I shouldn't include the http://www. in the
address ??.)

2) I would like to suggest to cut & past your latest reply here to the new
thread "List of .... " either in MS DG or in MrExcel. It would be of great
help to users and many would appreciate that.

3) Domski at MrExcel has just replied to my thread: "List of ... " and
kindly provided the following link:
http://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=5000
I haven't yet accessed the link.

Kind regards.

"monir" wrote in message
Hello;

Could someone please advise on where to find the chart option "Sized
with
Window" in XL 2007 ?
I've tried under "View", "Chart Tools", "Format", "Layout", "Help",
etc.
with no luck!
In XL 2003, the chart option is under "View".

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

"monir" wrote in message
[...]

Feel free to write "Jon Peltier posted on microsoft.public.excel.charting:"
and paste in my reply.

3) Domski at MrExcel has just replied to my thread: "List of ... " and
kindly provided the following link:
http://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=5000
I haven't yet accessed the link.

The table is annoying because items in the middle column do not line up with
items in the right column.

Also the item that says you cannot resize multiple charts is false, so I
didn't bother checking any others.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon;
I agree. A better organization of the table would be more helpful.
I will shortly paste your ealier reply to MrExcel.
Thanks again.