Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Plotting wind speed and direction on a compass?

Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Try an XY chart with straight lines between points. Here's a start...
Choose Insert Names Define:

Direction:=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3
Velocity:=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3
x: =Velocity*COS(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}
y: =Velocity*SIN(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}

Edit the chart series formula to show x and y:

=SERIES(,Sheet1!y,Sheet1!x,1)

and remove any gridlines and axes markings.

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Lori
Trying to do this with excel07, and not having a lot of success. Defined
direction and velocity, defined x and y. selected the series, went to formula
bar to change =series((etc)) and it sits there laughing at me. (well, it does
nothing)
Any hints for Office 2007 sufferers?
Walter

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I don't have any experience with office 2007 i'm afraid. I would suggest
first creating a scatter using direction and velocity for the x and y values,
then change the source data to refer to "sheet!x" and "sheet!y" where "sheet"
is the sheet name.

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Try this example:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dib4

Insert extra lines inside the data range and the chart lines should update,
you need to update the labels manually though.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Lori,
Thanks - this is the type of plot I'm after - Will have a go and see what
happens.. Will let you know.

"Lori" wrote:

Try this example:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dib4

Insert extra lines inside the data range and the chart lines should update,
you need to update the labels manually though.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Lori,
it worked, but it's a bit frustrating - really trying to plot 12 h of data,
but lots of hours the wind comes from the same direction and changing "series
1" to the appropriate time is no fun. May end up filing this in the "too
hard basket" for the benefit derived.
Cheers,
Walter

"Lori" wrote:

Try this example:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dib4

Insert extra lines inside the data range and the chart lines should update,
you need to update the labels manually though.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You may find this helpful.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot2.htm

Or this addin
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm

Do you know of any sites that have examples of the chart look you are after?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

"Lori" wrote:

Try this example:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dib4

Insert extra lines inside the data range and the chart lines should
update,
you need to update the labels manually though.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
C G C G is offline

Default Have the same issue

Lori - I have the same need that you described. Were you able to get your problem figured out? If so, would you mind sharing your workbook?

Much thanks!

WalterKiw wrote:

Hi Lori,it worked, but it's a bit frustrating - really trying to plot 12 h of
18-Mar-08

Hi Lori,
it worked, but it's a bit frustrating - really trying to plot 12 h of data,
but lots of hours the wind comes from the same direction and changing "series
1" to the appropriate time is no fun. May end up filing this in the "too
hard basket" for the benefit derived.
Cheers,
Walter

"Lori" wrote:

On Sunday, March 16, 2008 8:38 PM
WalterKiw wrote:

Plotting wind speed and direction on a compass?
Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter

On Monday, March 17, 2008 12:14 PM
Lor wrote:

Try an XY chart with straight lines between points. Here's a start...
Try an XY chart with straight lines between points. Here's a start...
Choose Insert Names Define:

Direction:=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3
Velocity:=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3
x: =Velocity*COS(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}
y: =Velocity*SIN(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}

Edit the chart series formula to show x and y:

=SERIES(,Sheet1!y,Sheet1!x,1)

and remove any gridlines and axes markings.

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

On Monday, March 17, 2008 4:44 PM
WalterKiw wrote:

Thanks LoriTrying to do this with excel07, and not having a lot of success.
Thanks Lori
Trying to do this with excel07, and not having a lot of success. Defined
direction and velocity, defined x and y. selected the series, went to formula
bar to change =series((etc)) and it sits there laughing at me. (well, it does
nothing)
Any hints for Office 2007 sufferers?
Walter

"Lori" wrote:

On Monday, March 17, 2008 9:46 PM
Lor wrote:

I don't have any experience with office 2007 i'm afraid.
I don't have any experience with office 2007 i'm afraid. I would suggest
first creating a scatter using direction and velocity for the x and y values,
then change the source data to refer to "sheet!x" and "sheet!y" where "sheet"
is the sheet name.

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:37 AM
Lor wrote:

Plotting wind speed and direction on a compass?
Try this example:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dib4

Insert extra lines inside the data range and the chart lines should update,
you need to update the labels manually though.

On Tuesday, March 18, 2008 7:26 PM
WalterKiw wrote:

Hi Lori,Thanks - this is the type of plot I'm after - Will have a go and see
Hi Lori,
Thanks - this is the type of plot I am after - Will have a go and see what
happens.. Will let you know.

"Lori" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:55 PM
WalterKiw wrote:

Hi Lori,it worked, but it's a bit frustrating - really trying to plot 12 h of
Hi Lori,
it worked, but it's a bit frustrating - really trying to plot 12 h of data,
but lots of hours the wind comes from the same direction and changing "series
1" to the appropriate time is no fun. May end up filing this in the "too
hard basket" for the benefit derived.
Cheers,
Walter

"Lori" wrote:

On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:34 AM
Andy Pope wrote:

Plotting wind speed and direction on a compass?
Hi,

You may find this helpful.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot2.htm

Or this addin
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm

Do you know of any sites that have examples of the chart look you are after?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel