Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
WalterKiwi WalterKiwi is offline

Default Plotting wind speed and direction on a compass?

Thanks Lori
Trying to do this with excel07, and not having a lot of success. Defined
direction and velocity, defined x and y. selected the series, went to formula
bar to change =series((etc)) and it sits there laughing at me. (well, it does
nothing)
Any hints for Office 2007 sufferers?
Walter

"Lori" wrote:

Try an XY chart with straight lines between points. Here's a start...
Choose Insert Names Define:

Direction:=Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3
Velocity:=Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3
x: =Velocity*COS(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}
y: =Velocity*SIN(RADIANS(Direction))*{0,1}

Edit the chart series formula to show x and y:

=SERIES(,Sheet1!y,Sheet1!x,1)

and remove any gridlines and axes markings.

"WalterKiwi" wrote:

Hi, I have wind velocity (m/s) and direction (degrees) from a weather station
and want to plot it with the direction plotted around a 360 degree circle
(compass?) with the wind represented by an arrow pointing at the appriate
direction, and it's force by the length of the arrow. Sample data might be
Direction velocity
340 2.1
310 5.2
(and there's date and time data also) Any way to do this? It's hourly data
for 4 distinct weeks of the year (2 Sept, 2 Nov) for a 5 year period.
Rgds.
Walter