Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Hi Everyone! Im a Student so please be kind...

Im trying to do line chart with the excel 2007 and it seems almost
impossible. I've used excel 2003 and dont have a problem with making charts
of any kind but for some reason I'm trapped with 2007. For a paper in one of
my classes, i have to submit a graph to match the DAILY DATA from one of my
books i've made. In this graph i have to compare the following technology
companies.
CIEN
IDCC
CML
XATA
AAPL
KNM
and compare it all to
QQQQ (all in one graph)

Im trying to follow the steps from Excel help but its always leading me to
one stable line with one color. Please Help! If anyone knows a step by step
process to execute this graph correctly, it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How did you set up your data?

if it is time series data, you may be plotting the "years" in your
time series as a data series [your X variable maybe plotting as a Y
variable.] The values for the numbers you want to plot are so much
smaller, they are actually a straight line on the X-axis. Click on the
line and delete it and see what happens.

Or the value for one of your real data series may be so large that
that the others are scaled down to the bottom.

You should also check to see what your data series actually are.
Click on the chart.
From the menu, select Chart Tools | Design | Select data

this will show just what data are being plotted.

On Mar 9, 4:48 pm, Julie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In message , Julie
writes
[...]

It should be similar. Select the block of data you want to plot and then
fight with the dull^d^d^d^dwizard or pick an icon to get it to plot in
the style you want. If you can do it OK in XL2003 do it there then save
as an XLS file and load it into XL2007 (probably faster to get a half
decent result).

The default out of the box graph lines in XL2007 look like they were
drawn by a ham fisted 3 year old with a thick wax crayon and require a
lot of manual tweaking to be even vaguely presentable. Axis scaling is
now painful and tedious to use (and also doesn't work properly from
VBA).

There are zillions of other bugs in the pre SP1 version. My favourite is
the ticks on log scale graphs going past 10^8 (you get two ticks
labelled 10^7). Even with SP1 applied it is still horribly slow for
large amounts of data and fails to correctly display the legends if
there are more than about 20 series.

Martin Brown