Basil

Default Hard bar (or maybe other) graph

Hiya,

I'm having real difficulty trying to plot a graph, so was hoping you could
help:

I am looking at a coach trip that has 4 stops (it ges in both directions) -
people get on and off at any stop.
Of the trips made, I have derived the percentage utilisation by leg:
(In the following table I have shown the start point down the column - I
have also only shown the one direction (bottom left triangle would show other
direction):

Start Stop
Centre Car Park LGW
LHR
Centre 1% 12%
22%
Car Park 3%
36%
LGW
26%
LHR

I can re-arrange this to make a more suitable data source.

Anyway, the graph I want would have % used on the Y axis, and the 4 points
along the x-axis. It would have bars going across the page from point to
point representing the journey made. Each bar would have varying thickness
dependant on the % use. I'll try and draw it:

%|

_____________________
| |

| _____________________|____________________|
| |

| |

| |

|_________________|_______________________________ __________|

|______________________________________ ___________________|
__|______________________________________|________ ________________
Centre CarPark LGW
LHR

Now that is a cr*p drawing... but I hope you get what I mean (I would want a
gap between each bar too).

Anyone have any idea?
If you don't think it can be done, please let me know so that I can give up.

Thanks loads,

Basil
Jon Peltier

Basil -

If you make your "graphics" to fit a narrower page and use a
nonproportional font when laying it out (like courier), we might get a
better image of what you want.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Basil wrote:

[...]

Basil

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______
Centre C.Park LGW LHR

I've left out the data below 3% (coz it's too hard to try and draw like
this!).
This drawing may not work again, so I'll explain.

I basically want every journey that has data to have a bar on the chart -
spanning from start point to end point (along the x-axis).

I want these bars to be stacked vertically ontop of each other (with a gap
between them - no bar will have the same (horizontal) start and end point.

The thickness (vertically) of each bar will represent what % of the
joourneys had that particular start and end point.

I hope it can be done, if it can't. please let me know.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

Basil

Basil wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

Basil -

I marked your post to remind me to reply, then I got very busy this
week. This can be done, it's not easy, it's a cumbersome method,
requiring major rearranging of the data. The workbook I used to do this
is nowhere to be found.

I can try to recreate this when I get a chance.

- Jon
-------

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______

__|______________________________________|_____ ___________________
Centre CarPark LGW
LHR

Now that is a cr*p drawing... but I hope you get what I mean (I would want a
gap between each bar too).

Anyone have any idea?
If you don't think it can be done, please let me know so that I can give up.

Thanks loads,

Basil

Basil

Thanks for getting back to me Jon.

I shelved the plan to create this graph because I didn't think it was
possible. If it is very complex and time consuming to recreate it, then don't
worry about recreating it for this occasion.

I do think it could be a good one to have on your website (which is
brilliant by the way) if you get the time/desire to revisit it.

Thanks for your responses Jon, and all the help you've offered in the past.
I'll keep my eyes open for anything new on your website!

Basil

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______

Basil wrote:

[...]

Basil

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______

Basil wrote:

[...]

Tushar Mehta

Yep, same here. Well, not losing the workbook, but the cumbersome
nature of the solution. Saved the workbook, decided it was too time-
consuming to explain in a text-only mode, and shelved it pending a
named-formulas approach.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______

Basil wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

Basil -

This morning I awoke to unusual inspiration and wrote an article on your
example. It will come out in next month's Tech Trax e-zine, in about a
week. If you want a sneak preview, email me off-line, and I'll send it
to you.

- Jon
-------

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______

__|______________________________________|___ _____________________
Centre CarPark LGW
LHR

Now that is a cr*p drawing... but I hope you get what I mean (I would want a
gap between each bar too).

Anyone have any idea?
If you don't think it can be done, please let me know so that I can give up.

Thanks loads,

Basil

Jon Peltier

Tushar -

Let me guess, 100 horizontal bars, a la Stephen's FunChrt5.xls? I've
taken a different approach, using stacked areas.

- Jon

Tushar Mehta wrote:

Yep, same here. Well, not losing the workbook, but the cumbersome
nature of the solution. Saved the workbook, decided it was too time-
consuming to explain in a text-only mode, and shelved it pending a
named-formulas approach.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This is an old post so I don't know if this has already been solved, but as I
was posting a question of my own I came across it and I have a graph similar
to this that I created (that wasn't too hard to do).
If you are interested in me sending it in a workbook, please let me know.
Thanks,
Annie Wendt
Epidemiologist
Kalamazoo County, MI

Tushar Mehta wrote:

Yep, same here. Well, not losing the workbook, but the cumbersome
nature of the solution. Saved the workbook, decided it was too time-
consuming to explain in a text-only mode, and shelved it pending a
named-formulas approach.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon eventually wrote up the solution to this problem in

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=533

What was your technique?

--
Del Cotter