Jon Peltier

Basil -

I marked your post to remind me to reply, then I got very busy this
week. This can be done, it's not easy, it's a cumbersome method,
requiring major rearranging of the data. The workbook I used to do this
is nowhere to be found.

I can try to recreate this when I get a chance.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Basil wrote:

Sorry Jon, and thanks for the response... I'll try again:

Table of data:
Journey start down left hand column, journey stop headers on top row. This
only shows the data for the Centre - LHR bus.

Start Stop --
| Centre C.Park LGW LHR
Centre - 1% 12% 22%
C.Park - 3% 36%
LGW - 26%
LHR -

2nd attampt at chart (it's very crude):

%|
| _______
| | |
| |_______|
| ________________
| | |
| | |
| |________________|
|__________________________
| |
|__________________________|
|___________________
__|___________________|_______
Centre C.Park LGW LHR

I've left out the data below 3% (coz it's too hard to try and draw like
this!).
This drawing may not work again, so I'll explain.

I basically want every journey that has data to have a bar on the chart -
spanning from start point to end point (along the x-axis).

I want these bars to be stacked vertically ontop of each other (with a gap
between them - no bar will have the same (horizontal) start and end point.

The thickness (vertically) of each bar will represent what % of the
joourneys had that particular start and end point.

I hope it can be done, if it can't. please let me know.

Thank you for your continued efforts.

Basil

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Basil -

If you make your "graphics" to fit a narrower page and use a
nonproportional font when laying it out (like courier), we might get a
better image of what you want.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Basil wrote:

Hiya,

I'm having real difficulty trying to plot a graph, so was hoping you could
help:

I am looking at a coach trip that has 4 stops (it ges in both directions) -
people get on and off at any stop.
Of the trips made, I have derived the percentage utilisation by leg:
(In the following table I have shown the start point down the column - I
have also only shown the one direction (bottom left triangle would show other
direction):

Start Stop
Centre Car Park LGW
LHR
Centre 1% 12%
22%
Car Park 3%
36%
LGW
26%
LHR

I can re-arrange this to make a more suitable data source.

Anyway, the graph I want would have % used on the Y axis, and the 4 points
along the x-axis. It would have bars going across the page from point to
point representing the journey made. Each bar would have varying thickness
dependant on the % use. I'll try and draw it:

%|

_____________________
| |

| _____________________|____________________|
| |

| |

| |

|_________________|_______________________________ __________|

Centre CarPark LGW
LHR

Now that is a cr*p drawing... but I hope you get what I mean (I would want a
gap between each bar too).

Anyone have any idea?
If you don't think it can be done, please let me know so that I can give up.

Thanks loads,

Basil