Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default I'm nto charts, please be nice. (Bar graph question)

I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top of the
bar. Is there away to have the number huver/float above the bar? I have 6 bar
graphs and I have to click on the amonts and move it up some so your able to
see the number and no, my boss will not let me use the background "opaque".

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Right click the data labels and on the Alignment tab is a droplist
containing Label Positions. Try the Outside End position.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Those are the options for text alignment.

Below those 2 dropdowns, Horizontal and Vertical Text Alignment, is the
Label Position dropdown.

I just checked in XL2K.

Cheers
Andy

pgarcia wrote:

I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top of the
bar. Is there away to have the number huver/float above the bar? I have 6 bar
graphs and I have to click on the amonts and move it up some so your able to
see the number and no, my boss will not let me use the background "opaque".

Thanks

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If it's a bar, he can't float above the bar. Outside end is to the right.
(Yeah, I know, most people say bar when they mean column.)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

pgarcia wrote:

I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top
of the bar. Is there away to have the number huver/float above the bar?
I have 6 bar graphs and I have to click on the amonts and move it up
some so your able to see the number and no, my boss will not let me use
the background "opaque".

Thanks

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,

Your right if it is really a bar chart then above would not be an option.
But Outside end should still be available.

Here are a few suggests for a bar chart.

You could add another series and use that to display the data label
centered. Format the second series to have no fill or border.
With this the displayed bar is slightly off centered.

Or add a duplicate series with 1 extra point at the beginning, which has no
data. Place this series on the secondary axis.
Again format no fill or border. Display data label centered. Now in order to
lift the label above the bar you will need to add the secondary X Axis.
Format the secondary X axis to not have Value (Y) axis crosses between
categories. This will offset the bars enough to make the data labels above
above the bars on the primary axis.

Add XY Scatter series. X values would be half of bar value. Y values would
be 0.5, 1.5 etc
The data label position can be set to above and in order to display the
correct value you would need to link the data labels to cells containing the
true values.

Try Rob Bovey's free add-in for labeling.
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

pgarcia wrote:

I have a bar graph and when the numbers are populated, they set on top
of the bar. Is there away to have the number huver/float above the bar?
I have 6 bar graphs and I have to click on the amonts and move it up
some so your able to see the number and no, my boss will not let me use
the background "opaque".

Thanks

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

"Andy Pope" wrote in message
Hi Jon,

Your right if it is really a bar chart then above would not be an option.
But Outside end should still be available.

That's right. I assumed the OP correctly said bar chart, but looked at
alignment in the incorrect dialog.

- Jon
-------