Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
viv viv is offline

Default Multiple series in a scatter chart

Hi,

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Each chart series needs X and Y values, and an XY (Scatter) chart uses
numerical data for each. You've only provided enough data for one series,
unless the A-B-C is intended to be used as the X values for two series, in
which case you should use a line chart (the XY will replace text by counting
numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.).

You will also need to take measures to show both percentages and thousands
of pounds on the same chart, probably by plotting one of these on the
secondary axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
viv viv is offline

Hi Jon,

The percentage figures are intended to be the x series and the £ values the
y series. A, B, C and the headings of each series, so this should be enough
data shouldn't it?

THanks

--
Viv

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

In a chart, a "series" is a set of points that go together, which are
defined by X values or category labels and by Y values. Do you want the
A-B-C labels to appear in the legend? If so, it gets complicated, because
you will need to plot chart series of one point each, with the label as the
series name, and your data does not have a standard configuration. However,
if you just want to label each point with these labels, you can plot a
single series with the percents and pounds, then use one of these utilities
to add the labels:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
viv viv is offline

That is the problem, wanting each of the data points labelled. I'll give the
utilities a try.

Thanks!
--
Viv

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yes, if you are saying that there is one pont in each series, Excel will be
able to plot the points that way.

It may well be that it can't readily be forced into doing that in one go
from the Chart wizard (but Jon will know how if anyone does). If the wizard
starts with a different set of assumptions, you can subsequently change it
through the Series tab under the "Source Data" option, but (as you say) it
will take some time if you have to do it for each series individually.
--
David Biddulph

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I've written short VBA procedures that will create a chart with one point
per series (google for my name and sthg like "onepointperseries"), but these
charts lose their effectiveness as the number of series exceeds a dozen. To
eliminate the user having to go back and forth between the chart and the
legend to decipher the markers and colors, you add labels, and if you do
this, you may as well make a single series with labels.

- Jon
-------

"Viv" wrote in message

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple
series
as follows:

A 10% £20,000
B 15% £15,000
C 12.5% £16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been
able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a
large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Source data for multiple series in scatter chart

Hi, I've been struggling with a similar issue. I've created an xy scatter chart which has over 100 series. A sample:

Series Name X Value Y Value
Mark 1 2
John 3 1
Matt 4 2
etc etc

In "source data" excel does not automatically picks u the "x value" and "y value" from the correct cell. How can I point it to the right place without having to change this manually for each of the 100 series? Thanks!

Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
20-Sep-07

I've written short VBA procedures that will create a chart with one point
per series (google for my name and sthg like "onepointperseries"), but these
charts lose their effectiveness as the number of series exceeds a dozen. To
eliminate the user having to go back and forth between the chart and the
legend to decipher the markers and colors, you add labels, and if you do
this, you may as well make a single series with labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 05:28
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Hi,

A colleague of mine is trying to set up a scatter graph with multiple series
as follows:

A 10% ??20,000
B 15% ??15,000
C 12.5% ??16,000
etc....

He wants the scatter graph to have a key for each series.

I can't find a way of doing this by selecting a data range. I've been able
to do this by adding each series individually, but as there are a large
number of series this will take some time.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I hate it when Excel beats me!

Thanks
--
Viv

On 20 September 2007 07:40
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Each chart series needs X and Y values, and an XY (Scatter) chart uses
numerical data for each. You've only provided enough data for one series,
unless the A-B-C is intended to be used as the X values for two series, in
which case you should use a line chart (the XY will replace text by counting
numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.).

You will also need to take measures to show both percentages and thousands
of pounds on the same chart, probably by plotting one of these on the
secondary axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 07:50
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Hi Jon,

The percentage figures are intended to be the x series and the ?? values the
y series. A, B, C and the headings of each series, so this should be enough
data shouldn't it?

THanks

--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:00
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
In a chart, a "series" is a set of points that go together, which are
defined by X values or category labels and by Y values. Do you want the
A-B-C labels to appear in the legend? If so, it gets complicated, because
you will need to plot chart series of one point each, with the label as the
series name, and your data does not have a standard configuration. However,
if you just want to label each point with these labels, you can plot a
single series with the percents and pounds, then use one of these utilities
to add the labels:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 08:16
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
That is the problem, wanting each of the data points labelled. I'll give the
utilities a try.

Thanks!
--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:28
David Biddulph wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Yes, if you are saying that there is one pont in each series, Excel will be
able to plot the points that way.

It may well be that it can't readily be forced into doing that in one go
from the Chart wizard (but Jon will know how if anyone does). If the wizard
starts with a different set of assumptions, you can subsequently change it
through the Series tab under the "Source Data" option, but (as you say) it
will take some time if you have to do it for each series individually.
--
David Biddulph

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 09:03
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
I've written short VBA procedures that will create a chart with one point
per series (google for my name and sthg like "onepointperseries"), but these
charts lose their effectiveness as the number of series exceeds a dozen. To
eliminate the user having to go back and forth between the chart and the
legend to decipher the markers and colors, you add labels, and if you do
this, you may as well make a single series with labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

How to hold a successful meeting
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...uccessful.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Each chart series needs X and Y values, and an XY (Scatter) chart uses
numerical data for each. You've only provided enough data for one series,
unless the A-B-C is intended to be used as the X values for two series, in
which case you should use a line chart (the XY will replace text by counting
numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.).

You will also need to take measures to show both percentages and thousands
of pounds on the same chart, probably by plotting one of these on the
secondary axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 07:50
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Hi Jon,

The percentage figures are intended to be the x series and the ?? values the
y series. A, B, C and the headings of each series, so this should be enough
data shouldn't it?

THanks

--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:00
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
In a chart, a "series" is a set of points that go together, which are
defined by X values or category labels and by Y values. Do you want the
A-B-C labels to appear in the legend? If so, it gets complicated, because
you will need to plot chart series of one point each, with the label as the
series name, and your data does not have a standard configuration. However,
if you just want to label each point with these labels, you can plot a
single series with the percents and pounds, then use one of these utilities
to add the labels:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 08:16
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
That is the problem, wanting each of the data points labelled. I'll give the
utilities a try.

Thanks!
--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:28
David Biddulph wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Yes, if you are saying that there is one pont in each series, Excel will be
able to plot the points that way.

It may well be that it can't readily be forced into doing that in one go
from the Chart wizard (but Jon will know how if anyone does). If the wizard
starts with a different set of assumptions, you can subsequently change it
through the Series tab under the "Source Data" option, but (as you say) it
will take some time if you have to do it for each series individually.
--
David Biddulph

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 09:03
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
I've written short VBA procedures that will create a chart with one point
per series (google for my name and sthg like "onepointperseries"), but these
charts lose their effectiveness as the number of series exceeds a dozen. To
eliminate the user having to go back and forth between the chart and the
legend to decipher the markers and colors, you add labels, and if you do
this, you may as well make a single series with labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message

On 15 October 2009 10:39
kolkova wrote:

Source data for multiple series in scatter chart
Hi, I've been struggling with a similar issue. I've created an xy scatter chart which has over 100 series. A sample:

Series Name X Value Y Value
Mark 1 2
John 3 1
Matt 4 2
etc etc

In "source data" excel does not automatically picks u the "x value" and "y value" from the correct cell. How can I point it to the right place without having to change this manually for each of the 100 series? Thanks!

Dundas Upload - Restrict Access - Complete Code
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-restrict.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Each chart series needs X and Y values, and an XY (Scatter) chart uses
numerical data for each. You've only provided enough data for one series,
unless the A-B-C is intended to be used as the X values for two series, in
which case you should use a line chart (the XY will replace text by counting
numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.).

You will also need to take measures to show both percentages and thousands
of pounds on the same chart, probably by plotting one of these on the
secondary axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 07:50
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Hi Jon,

The percentage figures are intended to be the x series and the ?? values the
y series. A, B, C and the headings of each series, so this should be enough
data shouldn't it?

THanks

--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:00
Jon Peltier wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
In a chart, a "series" is a set of points that go together, which are
defined by X values or category labels and by Y values. Do you want the
A-B-C labels to appear in the legend? If so, it gets complicated, because
you will need to plot chart series of one point each, with the label as the
series name, and your data does not have a standard configuration. However,
if you just want to label each point with these labels, you can plot a
single series with the percents and pounds, then use one of these utilities
to add the labels:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Viv" wrote in message

On 20 September 2007 08:16
Vi wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
That is the problem, wanting each of the data points labelled. I'll give the
utilities a try.

Thanks!
--
Viv

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

On 20 September 2007 08:28
David Biddulph wrote:

Multiple series in a scatter chart
Yes, if you are saying that there is one pont in each series, Excel will be
able to plot the points that way.

It may well be that it can't readily be forced into doing that in one go
from the Chart wizard (but Jon will know how if anyone does). If the wizard
starts with a different set of assumptions, you can subsequently change it
through the Series tab under the "Source Data" option, but (as you say) it
will take some time if you have to do it for each series individually.
--
David Biddulph

"Viv" wrote in message

kolkova wrote:

Source data for multiple series in scatter chart
Hi, I've been struggling with a similar issue. I've created an xy scatter chart which has over 100 series. A sample:

Series Name X Value Y Value
Mark 1 2
John 3 1
Matt 4 2
etc etc

In "source data" excel does not automatically picks u the "x value" and "y value" from the correct cell. How can I point it to the right place without having to change this manually for each of the 100 series? Thanks!

On 15 October 2009 10:41
kolkova wrote:

Source data for multiple series in scatter chart
Hi, I've been struggling with a similar issue. I've created an xy scatter chart which has over 100 series. A sample:

Series Name X Value Y Value
Mark 1 2
John 3 1
Matt 4 2
etc etc

In "source data" excel does not automatically picks u the "x value" and "y value" from the correct cell. How can I point it to the right place without having to change this manually for each of the 100 series? Thanks!

DataReaders, DataSets and Performance
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...asets-and.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do you really need 100 series? If your data is like this, three columns,
make an XY chart with the second and third columns, then use Rob Bovey's
Chart Labeler add-in (http://appspro.com) to apply the labels in the
first column to the points.

- Jon
-------