Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Creating graph from values in multiple tabs within workbook

I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets within
a workbook.

Worksheet 01/01/07 Share price A £5
Worksheet 01/01/07 Share price B £2

Worksheet 01/02/07 share price A £4
Worksheet 01/02/07 share price B £2.50

I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.

As you can see from above I am looking to initially create 2 lines over a
say a year to monitor the values of a number of different share prices.

Can someone point me in the direction of an idiot guide of how to do this.

Many thanks

Roger

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
roger lewis said:
I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets within
a workbook.
I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.

Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
workbook and build the chart there.

A B
01/01/07 £5 £2
01/02/07 £4 £2.50

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ok Del, many thanks for your reply. I will collate the info onto one page
and chart from that. Perhaps I was trying to be too clever.

Regards

Roger
roger lewis said:
I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets
within
a workbook.
I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and select the data from
each cell in the worksheet but I have obviously got that wrong.

Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
workbook and build the chart there.

A B
01/01/07 £5 £2
01/02/07 £4 £2.50

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to
,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

roger lewis said:

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets
within a workbook. I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down
and select the data from each cell in the worksheet but I have
obviously got that wrong.

Don't try to take values straight out of the workbooks and straight into
a chart. You're only making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Take
values from the workbooks and put them into a range in one summary
workbook and build the chart there.

Ok Del, many thanks for your reply. I will collate the info onto one page
and chart from that. Perhaps I was trying to be too clever.

There are still opportunities for automating the process. Have a look at
the INDIRECT() function, and see if you can use "foo"&"bar" create a
text string that evaluates to a particular cell in each workbook you are
building from. You might find you can create a column of workbook names
and a row of cell references, and build the block of chart data from
that.

--
Del Cotter
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This page has an example:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...iffSheets.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

roger lewis said:

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
I am trying to produce a simple line graph from values in worksheets
within a workbook. I thought that you could hold the ctrl key down and