Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Negative Data labels disappear

I can only see negative data labels when I increase the maximum of the
x-scale. Why is this happening and what can I do to avoid it? Cause if I
increase the x-scale too much than the bars are very small and do not look
nice.
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Are all the values negative, or did you mean Minimum scale value.
Also is that the Y (vertical) axis?

How about changing the position of the data labels so that it is within
the bar/column.

Cheers
Andy

Anthi wrote:
I can only see negative data labels when I increase the maximum of the
x-scale. Why is this happening and what can I do to avoid it? Cause if I
increase the x-scale too much than the bars are very small and do not look
nice.
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Good morning :-)
Let me start from the beginning. My chart shows car sales in January 2006
and in January 2007. The data labels show the difference(increase or
decrease) of the sales in percentage.
3 of the numbers(percentage) in the data labels are negative.
The maximum number of sales is 90. So I've put the maximum of y-scale at
200. But I can't see the negative data labels anywhere!! In order to make
them appear I must increase the maximum of y-scale to 450. But then the bars
are very small and don't look good.
Well, I hope I was clear enough to make you understand..:-)

Have a nice day and thanks again!
Anthi

Anthi wrote:
I can only see negative data labels when I increase the maximum of the
x-scale. Why is this happening and what can I do to avoid it? Cause if I
increase the x-scale too much than the bars are very small and do not look
nice.
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I'm having a similar problem in a clustered column bar chart. My data a

2003 2004 2005 2006
0 54,421 135,764 138,317
-47,646 -105,481 -58,707 -38,766

where the first line is the X axis and the 2nd & 3rd lines are bar chart
values. No matter what I do, the negative values never appear on the chart as
data values. I've tried manually expanding the Y axis to -1.0E6 to 1.0E6, no
luck. The positive values are showing, no problem.

"Anthi" wrote:

I can only see negative data labels when I increase the maximum of the
x-scale. Why is this happening and what can I do to avoid it? Cause if I
increase the x-scale too much than the bars are very small and do not look
nice.
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If it possible that the negative figures are being treated as text?
Can you see the thousands (,) separator in the formula bar? Is the
number format General or Number?

Cheers
Andy

--