Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default chart data range too complex

For some reason a column chart I created wouldnt display the data source or
data range. The dialogue box said chart data range too complex to display.
Can any one help me with the following two questions?

1. How do I find out what data my chart is linked to in the above-mentioned
case?
2. I need to update the aforementioned chart. How can I do it when data
source or range is not shown?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Look at the series tab. It lists the ranges for each series, so you can edit
these ranges (series by series, so it's not as fast as doing the whole chart
at once). When you select a series, you can see the data for that series
outlined with green, blue, and purple. These rectangles can be moved and
sized to change the source data.

A small subset of the reasons the range may be "too complicated" to display:

1. The series are not all the same length.
2. The ranges are not all parallel (i.e., one series uses some data plotted
by columns, another series uses some by rows).
3. Each series plots data from different sheets.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"likes2cook" wrote in message
For some reason a column chart I created wouldn't display the data source
or
data range. The dialogue box said "chart data range too complex to
display."
Can any one help me with the following two questions?

1. How do I find out what data my chart is linked to in the
above-mentioned
case?
2. I need to update the aforementioned chart. How can I do it when data
source or range is not shown?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I went to the series tab and selected a series, but only the top four cells
would be encircled by a dotted line--there was no outline with green, blue,
and purple. What first caught my attention was that when I highlighted the
chart, the data range on the table was not highlighted. This was strange
considering it was just a simple column chart with all the data in a simple
table on one worksheet. Could you help me identify the cause and solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Select the series, and don't bring up the Data Source dialog. Do you see the
ranges highlighted with colored rectangles?

Select the series and look in the formula bar. Copy the formula you see and
paste it into a reply to this message.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"likes2cook" wrote in message
I went to the series tab and selected a series, but only the top four cells
would be encircled by a dotted line--there was no outline with green,
blue,
and purple. What first caught my attention was that when I highlighted the
chart, the data range on the table was not highlighted. This was strange
considering it was just a simple column chart with all the data in a
simple
table on one worksheet. Could you help me identify the cause and solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I am sorry but I am confused. What do you mean by "Select the series, and
don't bring up the Data Source dialog"? Is this the same as highlighting the
chart?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

A set of plotted points is called a series. Select a set of plotted points,
that is, select a series. Do this by clicking on a plotted point, which may
be a marker or a column or bar. Now you should see a formula in the formula
bar, which will resemble this:

=SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet1!$B$2: $B$10,1)

You may also see colored rectangles highlighting the series data in the
worksheet. You may not if the data range is scrolled out of sight or if it
resides on a different sheet.

- Jon
-------