Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Paste link for charts

I need to duplicate a set of graphs in a second workbook. I'd like to link
the second set to the first set so that changes to source data ranges
(located in the first workbook only) automatically change the source data
ranges in the charts in the second workbook. Copy\paste special\paste links
doesn't seem to work for charts. Appreciate if you have any ideas about how
to do this please.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Just copy and paste the charts. They are already hard-wired to the original
data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Warrain" wrote in message
I need to duplicate a set of graphs in a second workbook. I'd like to link
the second set to the first set so that changes to source data ranges
(located in the first workbook only) automatically change the source data
ranges in the charts in the second workbook. Copy\paste special\paste
links
doesn't seem to work for charts. Appreciate if you have any ideas about
how
to do this please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yes, but if I want to change the range of source data on the first workbook,
then I'll need to copy and paste them all over again. There are a number of
graphs and the source data ranges need to change each month.
Thanks for the suggestion.

"Warrain" wrote:

I need to duplicate a set of graphs in a second workbook. I'd like to link
the second set to the first set so that changes to source data ranges
(located in the first workbook only) automatically change the source data
ranges in the charts in the second workbook. Copy\paste special\paste links
doesn't seem to work for charts. Appreciate if you have any ideas about how
to do this please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use a defined name to identify the X and Y ranges for each series, and use
these in the series source data. To change the data, change the definition
of the name. The charts point to the range defined in the name.

- Jon
-------

"Warrain" wrote:

I need to duplicate a set of graphs in a second workbook. I'd like to
link
the second set to the first set so that changes to source data ranges
(located in the first workbook only) automatically change the source data
ranges in the charts in the second workbook. Copy\paste special\paste
links
doesn't seem to work for charts. Appreciate if you have any ideas about
how
to do this please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon,

Perhaps you can help me as well. When I recently did a paste special and
then tried to link an Excel chart into a Word document, the chart was cut off
about halfway from the left hand side in the Word document. Although I am
able to change the size of the pasted chart within the Word document, I am
unable to reveal that portion of the chart that is cut off. How can I fix
this? Thanks

Bruce Weinheimer
Austin, Texas

"Warrain" wrote:

I need to duplicate a set of graphs in a second workbook. I'd like to
link
the second set to the first set so that changes to source data ranges
(located in the first workbook only) automatically change the source data
ranges in the charts in the second workbook. Copy\paste special\paste
links
doesn't seem to work for charts. Appreciate if you have any ideas about
how
to do this please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You should start a new thread for an independent topic.

Make the chart in Excel the same size it will need to be in Word before
copying. This should minimize problems with the chart being distorted or
truncated.

- Jon
-------