Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Quote Marks Question

Hello,

Using Excel 2007 and W7.

Have a spreadsheet I created that is saved as a CSV File.

Some cells have text in them, which I have a single set of quote marks
around to define as Text.
e.g., "Bob"

It does show in the extreme left of the cell, as text should.

If I look at the Cell with "Format Cells", it comes up with "General".
But I don't know if opening this command is supposed to actually show
the Format of the cell. Is it ?

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells I
put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

Why ?
Is this correct ?

(Should I have had the single quotes kept, but ALSO formatted these text
cells definitively as TEXT ?)

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Bob,

Am Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:27:57 -0500 schrieb Bob:

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells I
put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

that is the behaviour of CSV.
Put a single set quotes marks (") in a cell and save the file as CSV. If
you open it with Editor you see """"

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

Using Excel 2007 and W7.

Have a spreadsheet I created that is saved as a CSV File.

Some cells have text in them, which I have a single set of quote
marks around to define as Text.
e.g., "Bob"

It escapes me why you need to wrap quotes text in quotes since text is
self-defining by the fact that it contains no -exclusively- numeric
characters!

These are text...
Bob
12 2013
A123B4

...and so do not required anything to define them as such. When these
are exported to a CSV they do/will not sprout quotes...

Bob,12 2013,A123B4

It does show in the extreme left of the cell, as text should.

If I look at the Cell with "Format Cells", it comes up with
"General".
But I don't know if opening this command is supposed to actually show
the Format of the cell. Is it ?

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells
I put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

Why ?
Is this correct ?

(Should I have had the single quotes kept, but ALSO formatted these
text cells definitively as TEXT ?)

Thanks,
Bob

--