-   -   Quote Marks Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/449498-quote-marks-question.html)

Bob[_19_]

Quote Marks Question

Hello,

Using Excel 2007 and W7.

Have a spreadsheet I created that is saved as a CSV File.

Some cells have text in them, which I have a single set of quote marks
around to define as Text.
e.g., "Bob"

It does show in the extreme left of the cell, as text should.

If I look at the Cell with "Format Cells", it comes up with "General".
But I don't know if opening this command is supposed to actually show
the Format of the cell. Is it ?

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells I
put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

Why ?
Is this correct ?

(Should I have had the single quotes kept, but ALSO formatted these text
cells definitively as TEXT ?)

Thanks,
Bob

Claus Busch

Quote Marks Question

Hi Bob,

Am Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:27:57 -0500 schrieb Bob:

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells I
put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

that is the behaviour of CSV.
Put a single set quotes marks (") in a cell and save the file as CSV. If
you open it with Editor you see """"

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

GS[_2_]

Quote Marks Question

Hello,

Using Excel 2007 and W7.

Have a spreadsheet I created that is saved as a CSV File.

Some cells have text in them, which I have a single set of quote
marks around to define as Text.
e.g., "Bob"

It escapes me why you need to wrap quotes text in quotes since text is
self-defining by the fact that it contains no -exclusively- numeric
characters!

These are text...
Bob
12 2013
A123B4

...and so do not required anything to define them as such. When these
are exported to a CSV they do/will not sprout quotes...

Bob,12 2013,A123B4

It does show in the extreme left of the cell, as text should.

If I look at the Cell with "Format Cells", it comes up with
"General".
But I don't know if opening this command is supposed to actually show
the Format of the cell. Is it ?

Anyway, if I now look at the spreadsheet with Notepad, all the cells
I put the single set of quote marks around now have three sets.
e.g., "Bob" now shows in Notepad as """Bob"""

Why ?
Is this correct ?

(Should I have had the single quotes kept, but ALSO formatted these
text cells definitively as TEXT ?)

Thanks,
Bob

--