Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tf tf is offline

Default Conditional Formating in Blank Cells

I have a set of data which I have highlighted values 3 in red and values
<0.3 in green. Using these criteria all of my blank cells end up with green
highlighting, though I would rather have no color. I've set a condition for
no color when cells are blank and also tried to set a condition for no color
when the cell value = "a blank cell". No matter what I do, the cell remains
highlighted. I can't simply go to blank cells and clear the rules, because I
need to sort the cells later and the formating doesn't migrate with the value
when it moves to another location.

Any ideas on how to clear the highlighting from the blank cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
in conditional formating enter

=AND(A10,A1<0.3)

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"TF" wrote:

I have a set of data which I have highlighted values 3 in red and values
<0.3 in green. Using these criteria all of my blank cells end up with green
highlighting, though I would rather have no color. I've set a condition for
no color when cells are blank and also tried to set a condition for no color
when the cell value = "a blank cell". No matter what I do, the cell remains
highlighted. I can't simply go to blank cells and clear the rules, because I
need to sort the cells later and the formating doesn't migrate with the value
when it moves to another location.

Any ideas on how to clear the highlighting from the blank cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since the OP didn't say they *didn't* have any negative values it'd be safer
to use:

=AND(COUNT(A1),A1<0.3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"TF" wrote:

I have a set of data which I have highlighted values 3 in red and values
<0.3 in green. Using these criteria all of my blank cells end up with
green
highlighting, though I would rather have no color. I've set a condition
for
no color when cells are blank and also tried to set a condition for no
color
when the cell value = "a blank cell". No matter what I do, the cell
remains
highlighted. I can't simply go to blank cells and clear the rules,
because I
need to sort the cells later and the formating doesn't migrate with the
value
when it moves to another location.

Any ideas on how to clear the highlighting from the blank cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tf tf is offline

These seem to work for a single cell, but I don't understand how to formulate
the formula for a block of cells (I've tried replacing A1 in these formulas
with $b$2:$f$62).

"TF" wrote:

I have a set of data which I have highlighted values 3 in red and values
<0.3 in green. Using these criteria all of my blank cells end up with
green
highlighting, though I would rather have no color. I've set a condition
for
no color when cells are blank and also tried to set a condition for no
color
when the cell value = "a blank cell". No matter what I do, the cell
remains
highlighted. I can't simply go to blank cells and clear the rules,
because I
need to sort the cells later and the formating doesn't migrate with the
value
when it moves to another location.

Any ideas on how to clear the highlighting from the blank cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to apply the formatting to a range of cells...

Assuming the range of interest is B2:F62.

Select the entire range of cells starting from cell B2. Cell B2 will be the
active cell. The active cell is the single cell in the selected range that
*is not* shaded. The formula is relative and based on the active cell. The
cell references will automatically adjust to the other cells in the applied
range.

Select the range B2:B62
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Condition 1
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(COUNT(B2),B2<0.3)
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK

Click the Add button

Condition 2
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(COUNT(B2),B23)
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out